Subject: [bug#78135] [PATCH tex-team] gnu: texstudio: Update to 4.8.7.

From: Nicolas Goaziou <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2025 19:12:38 +0200

Hello,

Greg Hogan <[email-masked]> writes:

> Yes, I think there is some confusion over team branches and master.
> From the documentation [0]: "Any changes that can be made on the
> master branch, should be made on the master branch. If a commit can be
> split to apply part of the changes on master, this is good to do."
>
> texstudio has no dependent packages, so should be pushed directly to
> master. My understanding is that it still needs to be either approved
> or pushed by the owning team.

You are right, it should have been pushed directly to master, not to
tex-team branch. But what is done is done!

> Or maybe it's not confusion, just that QA is generally unhelpful and
> teams are using their branches as a replacement. And with no automated
> or accurate method to compute the build cost simple patches get lumped
> in with complex updates.

It probably depends on the team. For example, there is no accurate
method to compute the build cost of a Rust package update, so the branch
indeed collects all the updates from all Rust packages, although it is
evolving. For other packages, guix refresh gives you a good idea of the
cost of an update.

Also some teams have a clear focus, e.g. updating Gnome. As for the tex
team, it exists because of the large numbers of builds implied by
changes to texlive packages. So it should mainly include
world-rebuilding changes.

Regards,
-- 
Nicolas Goaziou