Subject: Re: [bug#78135] [PATCH tex-team] gnu: texstudio: Update to 4.8.7.

From: Greg Hogan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2025 11:36:13 -0400

On Tue, Apr 29, 2025 at 11:24 AM Nicolas Goaziou <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> Greg Hogan <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> > * gnu/packages/tex.scm (texstudio): Update to 4.8.7.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Note that you already updated it to 4.8.6 on "tex-team" branch, which is
> hopefully soon to be merged.
>
> I suggest to wait for that to happen and then do the bump to 4.8.7
> directly from master. WDYT?
>
> Regards,
> --
> Nicolas Goaziou

Yes, I think there is some confusion over team branches and master.
>From the documentation [0]: "Any changes that can be made on the
master branch, should be made on the master branch. If a commit can be
split to apply part of the changes on master, this is good to do."

texstudio has no dependent packages, so should be pushed directly to
master. My understanding is that it still needs to be either approved
or pushed by the owning team.

Or maybe it's not confusion, just that QA is generally unhelpful and
teams are using their branches as a replacement. And with no automated
or accurate method to compute the build cost simple patches get lumped
in with complex updates.