Subject: Re: bug#78134: =guix info= partly in English partly in Spanish

From: "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2025 17:56:15 +0200

Thank you nomike for the report!

"nomike (they/them)" <[email-masked]> writes:
> =info guix=  is partly in englsh and partly in [Spanish] for me,

Indeed the Debian or Ubuntu package for guix makes “info guix” appear in
Spanish for me, too.  This is unexpected (I did not know) but probably
not a bug, but the normal behavior of info.

Use “info guix.de” to get the German manual.

The command for the English manual is:

info "(guix)"

You can also select the language at the start of the manual.

This appears to be so, because the Debian/Ubuntu guix package
(rightfully, but unlike Guix System) adds the manual in all languages to
the info directory.  When you enter only “info”, you see that Spanish
comes first.

Not sure yet what/if we want to change something here.

> # set | grep -E "(LANG|LC)"

I suppose in general the command env is more reliable, that is

env | grep -E "(LANG|LC)"

Regards,
Florian