Subject: bug#78133: closed (Close)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2025 17:48:02 +0000

Your bug report

#78133: `./pre-inst-env guix lint` does not work at all

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
78133: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=78133
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Close
From: Andreas Enge <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2025 19:47:46 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Closing as not reproducible.

Andreas

Subject: `./pre-inst-env guix lint` does not work at all
From: "nomike (they/them)" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2025 15:57:41 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi!

I get an error when running =guix lint=:

#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE text
$ ./pre-inst-env guix lint [email-masked]
guix: lint: command not found
hint: Did you mean `lint'?

Try `guix --help' for more information.
#+END_EXAMPLE

I'm not in a guix shell though.

The guix handbook talks a lot about running =guix style=, =guix lint=, 
etc.  in chapter 22.10 Submitting Patches[0] but nowhere mentions the 
use of `./pre-inst-env` or `guix shell`, so there is some room for 
improvement here, I guess.

Chaper 22.2 Building from Git[1] mentions to run =guix shell -D guix 
-CPW=, but if I try to run =guix lint= in there, I'm getting errors 
about network access. If I add the =--network= parameter, it still 
complains about SSL certificates not being verifiable, so I needed to 
run this in the end, which finally worked:

#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE text
$ guix shell --container --link-profile --nesting --network 
--development guix nss-certs
#+END_EXAMPLE

IMHO this should be documented somewhere.

It took me, reading a lot of documentation, asking a friend who is a 
seasoned guix developer and asking on IRC a number of times to piece all 
the necessary bits together.

And the error message about =lint= not existing and asking whether I 
have misspelled it and rather meant =lint=  doesn't make sense and IMHO 
should never happen.

Cheers

nomike

[0] https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Submitting-Patches.html
[1] https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Building-from-Git.html