Subject: bug#78125: 29.3; Obsolete text-mode-variant used in elisp manual

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2025 18:15:31 -0700

>From emacs 29.3, open the Elisp info documentation.  That
documentation says it is for emacs 29.2.  The `Example Major Modes`
includes the code `(setq-local text-mode-variant t)`.

I tried using some old code that included that command.  The result was

.emacs:39:15: Warning: âtext-mode-variantâ is an obsolete variable (as of
    27.1); use âderived-mode-pâ instead.

So I think the example needs to be updated.

I just commented out the line.

A secondary matter: naively following the error message would result in
this code: (setq-local derived-mode-p t), which I assume is a bad idea
and probably an error.

Running Ubuntu 24.04.2.  BTW, despite what the automated report below
says, it is using Wayland, not X.

In GNU Emacs 29.3 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.41,
 cairo version 1.18.0) of 2024-09-17, modified by Debian built on
 lcy02-amd64-065
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12302006
System Description: Ubuntu 24.04.2 LTS

Configured using:
 'configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/libexec
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/29.3/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/29.3/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils
 --with-native-compilation --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/libexec
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/29.3/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/29.3/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils
 --with-native-compilation --with-cairo --with-x=yes
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -fno-omit-frame-pointer -mno-omit-leaf-frame-pointer
 -ffile-prefix-map=/build/emacs-sI82Rh/emacs-29.3+1=. -fstack-protector-strong
 -fstack-clash-protection -Wformat -Werror=format-security
 -fcf-protection
 -fdebug-prefix-map=/build/emacs-sI82Rh/emacs-29.3+1=/usr/src/emacs-1:29.3+1-1ubuntu2+esm1
 -Wall' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=3'
 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3
THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2
XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Info

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  isearch-fold-quotes-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny rfc822
mml mml-sec password-cache epa epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mail-utils jka-compr derived display-line-numbers conf-mode pcmpl-unix
vc-hg vc-git diff-mode vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs
log-view easy-mmode pcvs-util vc-dir ewoc vc vc-dispatcher byte-opt
compile info shortdoc text-property-search help-fns radix-tree mule-util
apropos misearch multi-isearch time-date view dired-aux dired
dired-loaddefs sh-script smie treesit executable files-x shell pcomplete
comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring comp comp-cstr warnings subr-x rx cl-seq
cl-macs gv cl-extra help-mode bytecomp byte-compile cus-edit pp
cus-start cus-load icons wid-edit cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl
tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq
simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 374495 20755)
 (symbols 48 13041 0)
 (strings 32 57018 6966)
 (string-bytes 1 2151633)
 (vectors 16 32922)
 (vector-slots 8 933173 87704)
 (floats 8 184 227)
 (intervals 56 34042 0)
 (buffers 984 31))