Subject: bug#78120: 31.0.50; Calendar is not reliable with its marking

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2025 07:00:18 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> Thanks.  But I don't see here that 'success' face which caused the
> original trouble.  Or am I missing something.

You miss what I already answered: that you can specify arbitrary faces
in the diary itself.  See the original recipe.

But one step back, please listen: I rediscovered the (completely
undocumented, AFAICT) solution diary-lib itself already provides to
avoid this problem.  Read around line number 74:

;; Face markup of calendar and diary displays: Any entry line that
;; ends with [foo:value] where foo is a face attribute (except :box
;; :stipple) or with [face:blah] tags, will have these values applied
;; to the calendar and fancy diary displays.  These attributes "stack"
;; on calendar displays.  File-wide attributes can be defined as
;; follows: the first line matching "^# [tag:value]" defines the value
;; for that particular tag.

So this is obviously the user level mechanism the diary-lib author(s)
intended to be used for more advanced stylistic tuning.

Of course we can still bring the standard faces in some well defined
order, but if the described mechanism works well, it deserves to be made
more discover able I think.  It is more or less what Manuel was asking
for.

Michael.