Subject: bug#78120: 31.0.50; Calendar is not reliable with its marking

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2025 21:26:40 +0300

> From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 06 May 2025 19:50:00 +0200
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Why cannot the priority come from the code itself?  If you are saying
> > that it is impossible to decide which face should haver precedence,
> > something that I find very surprising, then some kind of user option
> > that allows to set the priority of one overlay higher or lower than
> > the other (without actually asking users to provide the priority
> > itself) would make more sense.  But up front, I'd be very surprised to
> > hear that we are unable to make the correct decision without burdening
> > the users with these decisions.  If that is what you think, please try
> > to explain in detail why such a decision is impossible.  Surely, out
> > of the two faces one conveys information that is more important than
> > the other?
> 
> I don't really understand when you say that we could decide which face
> will have precedence over another.  If you have a face that says
> "foreground is red" and another one that says "foreground is blue" how
> could we decide which one speaks the truth?

Each face has a meaning, I presume?  If one face marks a date because
John Doe was born at that day, and another face marks the same date
because I have an important meeting, then the latter should "win",
right?

> Or maybe you are talking about having a precedence defined on faces'
> names?

Not names, meanings.  The names here don't explain themselves: 'diary'
and 'success'.  If you know what those faces mean, please tell, and I
will try to suggest which one should win in this case.

> But even then, for the diary, AFAIK we have 3 faces: diary,
> diary-anniversary and holiday.  What should be their order of
> importance?  I don't know.

That's not our case.  Maybe there are more cases where we need to
decide, but let's first fix our case.  Then we could discuss other
cases.

(Up front, I'd say that 'diary' should override the others, but I'm
open to counter-arguments.)