Subject: Re: bug#78120: 31.0.50; Calendar is not reliable with its marking

From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2025 19:53:53 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
>> Date: Mon, 05 May 2025 02:45:37 +0200
>> 
>> > Both overlays have the same (unspecified) priority, so which one of
>> > them "wins" depends on many factors, including the exact memory layout
>> > of the Emacs session.  The latter changes each time you press 'm', so
>> > you sometimes see one or the other face.
>> 
>> Plausible. (Would it be thinkable to make the behavior deterministic?)
>
> It's deterministic.  But the factors affecting determinism are
> sometimes not deterministic enough ;-)

:-)

What seems strange to me is that I find overlays to be pretty
deterministic while the face features are different:
foreground/background/italic... (See my second recipe in this thread)

But in calendar, this seems less deterministic 🤷

[...]

> So Someone™ should take a look at the faces and decide which one of
> them is more important, or at least post the list here so we could
> discuss based on that list.

I think a better way would be to use the overlay priority and be able to
select from the diary date.
-- 
Manuel Giraud