Subject: RE: bug#7811: Emacs Bug (Unicode - Japanese)

From: "Yan Tian Kuang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 22:23:58 -0500

Hello

Thank you for the replies, I tried out different fonts, Meiro doesn’t seem
to be an options though.

I mean, if it display all the other Japanese characters, why doesn’t it
display this only one?

I can display it on MySQL, Firefox, Chrome, Notepad, Dreamweaver and other
different programs, just emacs…

I also attached my .emacs config files in case if it helps any…

I am running Emacs 23.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7600) of 2010-05-08 on G41R2F1

This is a windows binary downloaded from GNU Emacs site. I am running it
under Windows 7 64 bit.

From: Jason Rumney [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Jason Rumney
Sent: Sunday, January 09, 2011 7:49 PM
To: Kuang, Yan Tian
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: bug#7811: Emacs Bug (Unicode - Japanese)

On 10/01/2011 06:01, Kuang, Yan Tian wrote:

Hello

I found this little bug on Emacs that I thought I would report to you guys.

I am unable to display one Japanese character and only one character. I can
display all other characters but just this one.

The character is: ー

The HTML code: &#12540;

According to the Unicode table, the character is on column: 1C, and row:
30E0

I also provided a screenshot.

I am using Emacs for Windows 7, I am able to get the character display on
all my other editors but just Emacs. So I don’t think it is a font problem.
I tried using the default font on Courier New Monospace and Lucida Console,
both of them does not display the character. They both display all the other
characters but just this one…

Neither of those fonts is a Japanese font, try using Meiro instead..  Vista
and Windows 7 seem to have a font fallback mechanism that makes all fonts
appear to support Japanese, so Emacs cannot automatically choose an
appropriate font.  But the fallback support is incomplete, or appears to be
from the APIs that Emacs uses.