Subject: Re: bug#78103: GNOME calendar reminders do not trigger notifications

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2025 15:23:16 +0900

Hi,

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Since commit 3c8427ca415, saving reminders for a GNOME Calendar event
> works... but! they dot appear to trigger any notifications.

Apparently that's another known upstream problem [0].  I was able to
reproduce it in a fresh Fedora 42 VM, and installing Evolution fixes it.

Given that:

1) it's a pretty bad user experience to not be reminded about events
they created, and for which they explicitly added reminders;

2) and that adding Evolution itself adds a "mere" 100 MiB to the closure
of, according to:

'guix size evolution-data-server evolution' (3132.4 MiB) vs
'guix size evolution-data-server' (3031.1 MiB);

I'd propose we simply include the `evolution` package out of the box
with a comment to remove it if/when moving the calendar notification
functionality from evolution to gnome-shell-calendar-server [1] is
implemented.

What do you think?

[0]  https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-calendar/-/issues/498
[1]  https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-shell/-/issues/155

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim