Subject: GIMP does not start in shell -C

From: Tomas Volf <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2025 18:27:41 +0200

Hello,

it seems GIMP is missing some wrapping:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ guix time-machine -q --commit=7ff20b9e94c429f1160bd8f0db86b153a03e4683 -- shell -C -E ^DISPLAY\$ -E ^DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS\$ --expose=/run/user/1000 --expose=$HOME/.Xauthority --expose=/tmp/.X11-unix --no-cwd gimp -- gimp
Application icon missing: /gnu/store/vhf692h7lfyxm4crsjv2fnbv9fwd8hwz-gimp-3.0.0/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/gimp.png (Couldn?t recognize the image file format for file ?/gnu/store/vhf692h7lfyxm4crsjv2fnbv9fwd8hwz-gimp-3.0.0/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/gimp.png?)
Application icon missing: /gnu/store/vhf692h7lfyxm4crsjv2fnbv9fwd8hwz-gimp-3.0.0/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps/gimp.png (Couldn?t recognize the image file format for file ?/gnu/store/vhf692h7lfyxm4crsjv2fnbv9fwd8hwz-gimp-3.0.0/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps/gimp.png?)
Application icon missing: /gnu/store/vhf692h7lfyxm4crsjv2fnbv9fwd8hwz-gimp-3.0.0/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/gimp.png (Couldn?t recognize the image file format for file ?/gnu/store/vhf692h7lfyxm4crsjv2fnbv9fwd8hwz-gimp-3.0.0/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/gimp.png?)
Application icon missing: /gnu/store/vhf692h7lfyxm4crsjv2fnbv9fwd8hwz-gimp-3.0.0/share/icons/hicolor/64x64/apps/gimp.png (Couldn?t recognize the image file format for file ?/gnu/store/vhf692h7lfyxm4crsjv2fnbv9fwd8hwz-gimp-3.0.0/share/icons/hicolor/64x64/apps/gimp.png?)
Application icon missing: /gnu/store/vhf692h7lfyxm4crsjv2fnbv9fwd8hwz-gimp-3.0.0/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/gimp.svg (Couldn?t recognize the image file format for file ?/gnu/store/vhf692h7lfyxm4crsjv2fnbv9fwd8hwz-gimp-3.0.0/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/gimp.svg?)
Application icon missing: /gnu/store/vhf692h7lfyxm4crsjv2fnbv9fwd8hwz-gimp-3.0.0/share/icons/hicolor/256x256/apps/gimp.png
GIMP-Error: Failed to load data:

Error loading '/gnu/store/7hhnk944jnv3xfnccw1k5hldh7j9dcjj-mypaint-brushes-1.3.1/share/mypaint-data/1.0/brushes/classic/imp_blending.myb': Couldn?t recognize the image file format for file ?/gnu/store/7hhnk944jnv3xfnccw1k5hldh7j9dcjj-mypaint-brushes-1.3.1/share/mypaint-data/1.0/brushes/classic/imp_blending_prev.png?

[..]
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Adding gtk+ package to the guix shell fixes the problem.

Have a nice day,
Tomas

-- 
There are only two hard things in Computer Science:
cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.