Subject: Re: bug#7803: 23.1; Need better definition of vector notation in define-key

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 18:34:30 -0500

Larry Evans wrote:

>   (define KEYMAP [t] DEFAULT_BINDING)
>
> then any key, KEY, which has *not* occurred in a call:
>
>   (define-key KEYMAP KEY def)
>
> for some value of def, has the DEFAULT_BINDING in KEYMAP.

Yes.

> After fishing around the manual, I found it in the info node, "Other
> Char Bits" which contains:
>
>   The Lisp syntax for the shift bit is `\S-'; thus, `?\C-\S-o' or
>   `?\C-\S-O' represents the shifted-control-o character.
>
> The ? was a bit  mysterious at first, but more fishing showed
> me what it meant, but I don't remember where that info node is.

If you read the "Key Bindings" section in the Emacs manual (which
again, I think provides a better first introduction than the Elisp
manual), it gives clear examples of the vector syntax ("Rebinding Keys
in Your Init File"). It has C- and M-, it just doesn't mention S-,
AFAICS. C- and M- are explained right at the start of the manual
("2 Kinds of User Input").