Subject: Re: bug#7803: 23.1; Need better definition of vector notation in define-key

From: Larry Evans <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2011 18:47:28 -0600

On 01/07/11 17:09, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>>   however, there's no explanation of what t in `[t]' can be.
> 
> It is the symbol `t'.
> 
>>   Also, the phrase, 'default binding', implies there's a non-default
>>   binding.
> 
> The term `default binding' is explained in the same paragraph.
> 
Ah, so when it says:

  If KEY is `[t]', this sets the default binding in KEYMAP.

it means:

  If the call to define-key is of the form:

     (define-key KEYMAP [T] BINDING)

  then this sets the default binding in KEYMAP to BINDING.

which, I guess means when the KEY argument is *not* in the form of
a vector, then it sets the non-default binding.  OOPS, wait, that
doesn't make sense to me eithe because a default and non-default
bindings would mean pressing KEY or the event represented by KEY
has at least 2 meansing.

So, the paragraph is still unclear to me.

What am I missing?

  -Larry