Subject: bug#78021: 30.1; Unclear sentence in (emacs)Matching

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2025 13:58:44 +0300

> From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 08 May 2025 17:47:46 +0200
> 
> > I'd prefer a single patch with all the documentation changes for this
> > mode.
> 
> I've now finished the patch and attached it.  On rereading my changes
> for the Emacs manual I realized that my use of the terms "matching" and
> "of the same type" was confusing (and confused); Drew drew attention to
> that upthread but I misconstrued it then.  I've adjusted the text
> accordingly (mainly in the description of
> `electric-pair-preserve-balance') and also replaced the infelicitous
> "unmatched" with "unpaired".  In electric-pair.el I tried to clarify and
> improve not just the doc strings of the user options documented in the
> manual but also a number of others that I found unclear.  I also added
> text to the Commentary section, corrected several typos and in one case
> reformatted overlong lines of code.
> 
> If you agree with these changes I'll push them to emacs-30, using the
> ChangeLog entry below as the commit message.

Thanks, LGTM, but please make sure the first line of a doc string is
always a single complete sentence.  I've seen it be only party of a
sentence in two functions: electric-pair-post-self-insert-function and
electric-pair-open-newline-between-pairs-psif.