Subject: Re: bug#78021: 30.1; Unclear sentence in (emacs)Matching

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2025 17:47:46 +0200

On Sun, 04 May 2025 08:05:23 +0300 Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
>> Date: Sun, 04 May 2025 00:31:08 +0200
>> 
>> Thanks, I've made the changes you suggested.  If that now completes this
>> revision of the Electric Pair mode documentation for the Emacs manual,
>> should I go ahead and install it to emacs-30, or would you prefer to
>> wait for improvements to the corresponding doc strings in
>> electric-pair.el, and have all the doc changes installed as one
>> changeset?  If the latter, I'll make a patch for review as soon as I
>> can.
>
> I'd prefer a single patch with all the documentation changes for this
> mode.

I've now finished the patch and attached it.  On rereading my changes
for the Emacs manual I realized that my use of the terms "matching" and
"of the same type" was confusing (and confused); Drew drew attention to
that upthread but I misconstrued it then.  I've adjusted the text
accordingly (mainly in the description of
`electric-pair-preserve-balance') and also replaced the infelicitous
"unmatched" with "unpaired".  In electric-pair.el I tried to clarify and
improve not just the doc strings of the user options documented in the
manual but also a number of others that I found unclear.  I also added
text to the Commentary section, corrected several typos and in one case
reformatted overlong lines of code.

If you agree with these changes I'll push them to emacs-30, using the
ChangeLog entry below as the commit message.

Steve Berman

Improve Electric Pair mode documentation (bug#78021)

* doc/emacs/programs.texi (Matching): Clarify and improve
documentation of Electric Pair mode.

* lisp/elec-pair.el: Improve description in header line.  Add text
and a reference to the Emacs user manual in the Commentary section.
(electric-pair-skip-self, electric-pair-inhibit-predicate)
(electric-pair-preserve-balance)
(electric-pair-delete-adjacent-pairs)
(electric-pair-open-newline-between-pairs)
(electric-pair-skip-whitespace)
(electric-pair-skip-whitespace-function)
(electric-pair-analyze-conversion)
(electric-pair--skip-whitespace)
(electric-pair-text-syntax-table, electric-pair-syntax-info)
(electric-pair--insert, electric-pair--syntax-ppss)
(electric-pair--balance-info)
(electric-pair-inhibit-if-helps-balance)
(electric-pair-skip-if-helps-balance)
(electric-pair-open-newline-between-pairs-psif)
(electric-pair-mode): Clarify and improve doc strings and some comments.
(electric-pair-post-self-insert-function): Restructure doc string
to shorten overlong first line, and reformat overlong lines of code.

diff --git a/doc/emacs/programs.texi b/doc/emacs/programs.texi
index 820a772104e..e783ca3e715 100644
--- a/doc/emacs/programs.texi
+++ b/doc/emacs/programs.texi
@@ -1063,52 +1063,95 @@ Matching
 @cindex Electric Pair mode
 @cindex inserting matching parentheses
 @findex electric-pair-mode
-  Electric Pair mode, a global minor mode, provides a way to easily
-insert matching delimiters: parentheses, braces, brackets, etc.
-Whenever you insert an opening delimiter, the matching closing delimiter
-is automatically inserted as well, leaving point between the two.
-However, if you insert a closing delimiter where one already exists
-(probably a mistake, since typing the opening delimiter inserted the
-closing one for you), Emacs simply moves point to after the closing
-delimiter, skipping the insertion.  If the region is active
-(@pxref{Mark}), insertion of a delimiter operates on the region: the
-characters in the region are enclosed in a pair of matching delimiters,
-leaving point after the delimiter you typed.  If you provide a prefix
-argument when inserting a delimiter, the numeric value of that prefix
-argument specifies the number of pairs to insert.
-
-These variables control additional features of Electric Pair mode:
+  Electric Pair mode is a minor mode that provides a way to easily
+insert pairs of matching delimiters: parentheses, braces, brackets,
+quotes, etc.@: (what counts as matching delimiters depends on the major
+mode).  To toggle Electric Pair mode globally, type @w{@kbd{M-x
+electric-pair-mode}}.  To toggle it only in the current buffer, type
+@w{@kbd{M-x electric-pair-local-mode}}.
+
+  When this mode is enabled, typing an opening delimiter inserts both
+that character and, immediately following it, the matching closing
+delimiter, leaving point between the two.  This makes it unnecessary to
+type a matching closing delimiter in most cases.  If you type one
+nonetheless, Emacs simply inserts that character, unless point is
+immediately before a closing delimiter of the same type; in that case,
+point moves to immediately after the closing delimiter and no additional
+closing delimiter is inserted.  Thus, typing the sequence <opening
+delimiter>, <matching closing delimiter> is a perhaps more convenient
+alternative to the sequence <opening delimiter>, @kbd{C-f}.
+
+  With an active region (@pxref{Mark}), Electric Pair mode operates
+differently: inserting either an opening or a closing delimiter encloses
+the characters in the region within the resulting pair of matching
+delimiters, leaving point after the delimiter you typed (this
+facilitates continuing to type either before the text following the
+opening delimiter or after the closing delimiter).
+
+  There are several user options for modifying the behavior of Electric
+Pair mode:
 
 @itemize @bullet
 @item
 @vindex electric-pair-preserve-balance
-@code{electric-pair-preserve-balance}, when non-@code{nil}, makes the
-default pairing logic balance out the number of opening and closing
-delimiters.
+@code{electric-pair-preserve-balance}, when non-@code{nil} (the
+default), makes typing a delimiter preserve the balance between opening
+and closing delimiters.  Thus, if you type an opening delimiter and
+there is an unpaired matching closing delimiter later in the buffer,
+then only the opening delimiter gets inserted (and not a matching
+closing delimiter immediately following it); likewise, if there is an
+unpaired opening delimiter, then typing a matching closing delimiter
+later in the buffer inserts this character even when the following
+character is another matching closing delimiter.
+
+  When set to @code{nil}, typing an opening delimiter inserts only this
+character, but only when point is either immediately before or
+immediately after a matching opening delimiter, or immediately before a
+letter or digit; in all other positions inserting an opening delimiter
+automatically inserts a matching closing delimiter immediately following
+it, even if there is an unpaired matching closing delimiter later in the
+buffer.  And typing a closing delimiter immediately before another
+closing delimiter of the same type does not insert that character but
+moves point as described above, even when there is an unpaired matching
+opening delimiter earlier in the buffer.
+
+  If there is an active region, this variable has no effect.
 
 @item
 @vindex electric-pair-delete-adjacent-pairs
-@code{electric-pair-delete-adjacent-pairs}, when non-@code{nil}, makes
-backspacing between two adjacent delimiters also automatically delete
-the closing delimiter.
+@code{electric-pair-delete-adjacent-pairs}, when non-@code{nil} (the
+default), makes deleting an opening delimiter by typing the @key{DEL}
+key (which is normally the @key{BACKSPACE} key; @pxref{DEL Does Not
+Delete}) automatically also delete an immediately following matching
+closing delimiter (but not if there are any characters---including just
+whitespace---between the paired delimiters).  When set to @code{nil},
+typing @key{BACKSPACE} deletes only the opening delimiter.  (Typing
+@key{BACKSPACE} to delete a closing delimiter always deletes only this
+character.)
 
 @item
 @vindex electric-pair-open-newline-between-pairs
-@code{electric-pair-open-newline-between-pairs}, when non-@code{nil},
-makes inserting a newline between two adjacent pairs also
-automatically open an extra newline after point.
+When @code{electric-pair-open-newline-between-pairs} is non-@code{nil}
+(the default) and point is between an opening delimiter and an
+immediately following matching closing delimiter, then typing a newline
+automatically inserts an extra newline after point (possibly indenting
+the empty line point is on, depending on the major mode).  When set to
+@code{nil}, typing a newline inserts only one newline before point, as
+usual.
 
 @item
 @vindex electric-pair-skip-whitespace
-@code{electric-pair-skip-whitespace}, when non-@code{nil}, causes the minor
-mode to skip whitespace forward before deciding whether to skip over
-the closing delimiter.
+When @code{electric-pair-skip-whitespace} has its default non-@code{nil}
+value and point is separated from a closing delimiter only by
+whitespace, then typing a closing delimiter of the same type does not
+insert that character but instead moves point to immediately after the
+already present closing delimiter.  You can also set this option to
+additionally delete any whitespace that point moves over.  When set to
+@code{nil}, typing a closing delimiter simply inserts that character
+(even when this makes the following closing delimiter of the same type
+unbalanced).
 @end itemize
 
-To toggle Electric Pair mode, type @kbd{M-x electric-pair-mode}.  To
-toggle the mode in a single buffer, use @kbd{M-x
-electric-pair-local-mode}.
-
 @node Comments
 @section Manipulating Comments
 @cindex comments
diff --git a/lisp/elec-pair.el b/lisp/elec-pair.el
index 155cd3b7782..ab2f25552ed 100644
--- a/lisp/elec-pair.el
+++ b/lisp/elec-pair.el
@@ -1,4 +1,4 @@
-;;; elec-pair.el --- Automatic parenthesis pairing  -*- lexical-binding:t -*-
+;;; elec-pair.el --- Automatically insert matching delimiters  -*- lexical-binding:t -*-
 
 ;; Copyright (C) 2013-2025 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
 
@@ -21,6 +21,11 @@
 
 ;;; Commentary:
 
+;;  This library provides a way to easily insert pairs of matching
+;;  delimiters (parentheses, braces, brackets, quotes, etc.) and
+;;  optionally preserve or override the balance of delimiters.  It is
+;;  documented in the Emacs user manual node "(emacs) Matching".
+
 ;;; Code:
 
 (require 'electric)
@@ -59,15 +64,16 @@ electric-pair-text-pairs
 (defcustom electric-pair-skip-self #'electric-pair-default-skip-self
   "If non-nil, skip char instead of inserting a second closing paren.
 
-When inserting a closing paren character right before the same character,
-just skip that character instead, so that hitting ( followed by ) results
-in \"()\" rather than \"())\".
+When inserting a closing delimiter right before the same character, just
+skip that character instead, so that, for example, consecutively
+typing `(' and `)' results in \"()\" rather than \"())\".
 
-This can be convenient for people who find it easier to hit ) than \\[forward-char].
+This can be convenient for people who find it easier to type `)' than
+\\[forward-char].
 
-Can also be a function of one argument (the closer char just
-inserted), in which case that function's return value is
-considered instead."
+Can also be a function of one argument (the closing delimiter just
+inserted), in which case that function's return value is considered
+instead."
   :version "24.1"
   :group 'electricity
   :type '(choice
@@ -80,9 +86,9 @@ electric-pair-inhibit-predicate
   #'electric-pair-default-inhibit
   "Predicate to prevent insertion of a matching pair.
 
-The function is called with a single char (the opening char just inserted).
-If it returns non-nil, then `electric-pair-mode' will not insert a matching
-closer."
+The function is called with a single char (the opening delimiter just
+inserted).  If it returns non-nil, then `electric-pair-mode' will not
+insert a matching closing delimiter."
   :version "24.4"
   :group 'electricity
   :type '(choice
@@ -92,22 +98,32 @@ electric-pair-inhibit-predicate
           function))
 
 (defcustom electric-pair-preserve-balance t
-  "Non-nil if default pairing and skipping should help balance parentheses.
-
-The default values of `electric-pair-inhibit-predicate' and
-`electric-pair-skip-self' check this variable before delegating to other
-predicates responsible for making decisions on whether to pair/skip some
-characters based on the actual state of the buffer's parentheses and
-quotes."
+  "Whether to keep matching delimiters balanced.
+When non-nil, typing a delimiter inserts only this character if there is
+a unpaired matching delimiter later (if the latter is a closing
+delimiter) or earlier (if the latter is a opening delimiter) in the
+buffer.  When nil, inserting a delimiter disregards unpaired matching
+delimiters.
+
+Whether this variable takes effect depends on the variables
+`electric-pair-inhibit-predicate' and `electric-pair-skip-self', which
+check the value of this variable before delegating to other predicates
+responsible for making decisions on whether to pair/skip some characters
+based on the actual state of the buffer's delimiters.  In addition, this
+variable has no effect if there is an active region."
   :version "24.4"
   :group 'electricity
   :type 'boolean)
 
 (defcustom electric-pair-delete-adjacent-pairs t
-  "If non-nil, backspacing an open paren also deletes adjacent closer.
-
-Can also be a function of no arguments, in which case that function's
-return value is considered instead."
+  "Whether to automatically delete a matching delimiter.
+If non-nil, then when an opening delimiter immediately precedes a
+matching closing delimiter and point is between them, typing DEL (the
+backspace key) deletes both delimiters.  If nil, only the opening
+delimiter is deleted.
+
+The value of this variable can also be a function of no arguments, in
+which case that function's return value is considered instead."
   :version "24.4"
   :group 'electricity
   :type '(choice
@@ -116,10 +132,14 @@ electric-pair-delete-adjacent-pairs
           function))
 
 (defcustom electric-pair-open-newline-between-pairs t
-  "If non-nil, a newline between adjacent parentheses opens an extra one.
-
-Can also be a function of no arguments, in which case that function's
-return value is considered instead."
+  "Whether to insert an extra newline between matching delimiters.
+If non-nil, then when an opening delimiter immediately precedes a
+matching closing delimiter and point is between them, typing a newline
+automatically inserts an extra newline after point.  If nil, just one
+newline is inserted before point.
+
+The value of this variable can also be a function of no arguments, in
+which case that function's return value is considered instead."
   :version "24.4"
   :group 'electricity
   :type '(choice
@@ -128,16 +148,19 @@ electric-pair-open-newline-between-pairs
           function))
 
 (defcustom electric-pair-skip-whitespace t
-  "If non-nil skip whitespace when skipping over closing parens.
+  "Whether typing a closing delimiter moves point over whitespace.
+If non-nil and point is separated from a closing delimiter only by
+whitespace, then typing a closing delimiter of the same type does not
+insert that character but instead moves point to immediately after the
+already present closing delimiter.  If the value of this variable is set
+tothe symbol `chomp', then the whitespace moved over is deleted.  If the
+value is nil, typing a closing delimiter simply inserts it at point.
 
 The specific kind of whitespace skipped is given by the variable
 `electric-pair-skip-whitespace-chars'.
 
-The symbol `chomp' specifies that the skipped-over whitespace
-should be deleted.
-
-Can also be a function of no arguments, in which case that function's
-return value is considered instead."
+The value of this variable can also be a function of no arguments, in
+which case that function's return value is considered instead."
   :version "24.4"
   :group 'electricity
   :type '(choice
@@ -157,16 +180,16 @@ electric-pair-skip-whitespace-chars
 
 (defvar-local electric-pair-skip-whitespace-function
   #'electric-pair--skip-whitespace
-  "Function to use to skip whitespace forward.
+  "Function to use to move point forward over whitespace.
 Before attempting a skip, if `electric-pair-skip-whitespace' is
-non-nil, this function is called.  It move point to a new buffer
+non-nil, this function is called.  It moves point to a new buffer
 position, presumably skipping only whitespace in between.")
 
 (defun electric-pair-analyze-conversion (string)
-  "Notice that STRING has been deleted by an input method.
+  "Delete delimiters enclosing the STRING deleted by an input method.
 If the last character of STRING is an electric pair character,
 and the character after point is too, then delete that other
-character."
+character.  Called by `analyze-text-conversion'."
   (let* ((prev (aref string (1- (length string))))
          (next (char-after))
          (syntax-info (electric-pair-syntax-info prev))
@@ -177,7 +200,8 @@ electric-pair-analyze-conversion
       (delete-char 1))))
 
 (defun electric-pair--skip-whitespace ()
-  "Skip whitespace forward, not crossing comment or string boundaries."
+  "Move point forward over whitespace.
+But do not move point if doing so crosses comment or string boundaries."
   (let ((saved (point))
         (string-or-comment (nth 8 (syntax-ppss))))
     (skip-chars-forward (apply #'string electric-pair-skip-whitespace-chars))
@@ -187,9 +211,9 @@ electric-pair--skip-whitespace
 (defvar electric-pair-text-syntax-table prog-mode-syntax-table
   "Syntax table used when pairing inside comments and strings.
 
-`electric-pair-mode' considers this syntax table only when point in inside
-quotes or comments.  If lookup fails here, `electric-pair-text-pairs' will
-be considered.")
+`electric-pair-mode' considers this syntax table only when point is
+within text marked as a comment or enclosed within quotes.  If lookup
+fails here, `electric-pair-text-pairs' will be considered.")
 
 (defun electric-pair-conservative-inhibit (char)
   (or
@@ -229,11 +253,11 @@ electric-pair--with-syntax-1
 (defun electric-pair-syntax-info (command-event)
   "Calculate a list (SYNTAX PAIR UNCONDITIONAL STRING-OR-COMMENT-START).
 
-SYNTAX is COMMAND-EVENT's syntax character.  PAIR is
-COMMAND-EVENT's pair.  UNCONDITIONAL indicates the variables
-`electric-pair-pairs' or `electric-pair-text-pairs' were used to
-lookup syntax.  STRING-OR-COMMENT-START indicates that point is
-inside a comment or string."
+SYNTAX is COMMAND-EVENT's syntax character.  PAIR is COMMAND-EVENT's
+pair.  UNCONDITIONAL indicates that the variables `electric-pair-pairs'
+or `electric-pair-text-pairs' were used to look up syntax.
+STRING-OR-COMMENT-START indicates that point is inside a comment or
+string."
   (let* ((pre-string-or-comment (or (bobp)
                                     (nth 8 (save-excursion
                                              (syntax-ppss (1- (point)))))))
@@ -264,20 +288,20 @@ electric-pair--insert
   (let ((last-command-event char)
 	(blink-matching-paren nil)
 	(electric-pair-mode nil)
-        ;; When adding the "closer" delimiter, a job his function is
+        ;; When adding a closing delimiter, a job this function is
         ;; frequently used for, we don't want to munch any extra
         ;; newlines above us.  That would be the default behavior of
-        ;; `electric-layout-mode', which potentially kicked in before
-        ;; us to add these newlines, and is probably about to kick in
-        ;; again after we add the closer.
+        ;; `electric-layout-mode', which potentially kicked in before us
+        ;; to add these newlines, and is probably about to kick in again
+        ;; after we add the closer.
         (electric-layout-allow-duplicate-newlines t))
     (self-insert-command 1)))
 
 (defun electric-pair--syntax-ppss (&optional pos where)
-  "Like `syntax-ppss', but sometimes fallback to `parse-partial-sexp'.
+  "Like `syntax-ppss', but maybe fall back to `parse-partial-sexp'.
 
 WHERE is a list defaulting to \\='(string comment) and indicates
-when to fallback to `parse-partial-sexp'."
+when to fall back to `parse-partial-sexp'."
   (let* ((pos (or pos (point)))
          (where (or where '(string comment)))
          (quick-ppss (syntax-ppss pos))
@@ -298,12 +322,12 @@ electric-pair--syntax-ppss
           (parse-partial-sexp (point-min) pos)
         quick-ppss))))
 
-;; Balancing means controlling pairing and skipping of parentheses
+;; Balancing means controlling pairing and skipping of delimiters
 ;; so that, if possible, the buffer ends up at least as balanced as
 ;; before, if not more.  The algorithm is slightly complex because
 ;; some situations like "()))" need pairing to occur at the end but
 ;; not at the beginning.  Balancing should also happen independently
-;; for different types of parentheses, so that having your {}'s
+;; for different types of delimiter, so that having your {}'s
 ;; unbalanced doesn't keep `electric-pair-mode' from balancing your
 ;; ()'s and your []'s.
 (defun electric-pair--balance-info (direction string-or-comment)
@@ -322,7 +346,7 @@ electric-pair--balance-info
   (let* (innermost
          outermost
          (at-top-level-or-equivalent-fn
-          ;; called when `scan-sexps' ran perfectly, when it found
+          ;; Called when `scan-sexps' ran perfectly, when it found
           ;; a parenthesis pointing in the direction of travel.
           ;; Also when travel started inside a comment and exited it.
           (lambda ()
@@ -330,7 +354,7 @@ electric-pair--balance-info
             (unless innermost
               (setq innermost (list t)))))
          (ended-prematurely-fn
-          ;; called when `scan-sexps' crashed against a parenthesis
+          ;; Called when `scan-sexps' crashed against a parenthesis
           ;; pointing opposite the direction of travel.  After
           ;; traversing that character, the idea is to travel one sexp
           ;; in the opposite direction looking for a matching
@@ -381,7 +405,7 @@ electric-pair--balance-info
               (funcall at-top-level-or-equivalent-fn))
           (scan-error
            (cond ((or
-                   ;; some error happened and it is not of the "ended
+                   ;; Some error happened and it is not of the "ended
                    ;; prematurely" kind...
                    (not (string-match "ends prematurely" (nth 1 err)))
                    ;; ... or we were in a comment and just came out of
@@ -390,7 +414,7 @@ electric-pair--balance-info
                         (not (nth 8 (syntax-ppss)))))
                   (funcall at-top-level-or-equivalent-fn))
                  (t
-                  ;; exit the sexp
+                  ;; Exit the sexp.
                   (goto-char (nth 3 err))
                   (funcall ended-prematurely-fn)))))))
     (cons innermost outermost)))
@@ -440,7 +464,7 @@ electric-pair--save-literal-point-excursion
        (unwind-protect (progn ,@body) (goto-char ,point)))))
 
 (defun electric-pair-inhibit-if-helps-balance (char)
-  "Return non-nil if auto-pairing of CHAR would hurt parentheses' balance.
+  "Return non-nil if auto-pairing of CHAR unbalances delimiters.
 
 Works by first removing the character from the buffer, then doing
 some list calculations, finally restoring the situation as if nothing
@@ -470,7 +494,7 @@ electric-pair-inhibit-if-helps-balance
                  (electric-pair--unbalanced-strings-p char)))))))))
 
 (defun electric-pair-skip-if-helps-balance (char)
-  "Return non-nil if skipping CHAR would benefit parentheses' balance.
+  "Return non-nil if skipping CHAR preserves balance of delimiters.
 Works by first removing the character from the buffer, then doing
 some list calculations, finally restoring the situation as if nothing
 happened."
@@ -505,7 +529,10 @@ electric-pair-default-inhibit
     (electric-pair-conservative-inhibit char)))
 
 (defun electric-pair-post-self-insert-function ()
-  "Member of `post-self-insert-hook'.  Do main work for `electric-pair-mode'.
+  "Do main work for `electric-pair-mode'.
+This function is added to `post-self-insert-hook' when
+`electric-pair-mode' is enabled.
+
 If the newly inserted character C has delimiter syntax, this
 function may decide to insert additional paired delimiters, or
 skip the insertion of the new character altogether by jumping
@@ -561,14 +588,18 @@ electric-pair-post-self-insert-function
                        (if (functionp electric-pair-skip-self)
                            (electric-pair--save-literal-point-excursion
                              (goto-char pos)
-                             (funcall electric-pair-skip-self last-command-event))
+                             (funcall electric-pair-skip-self
+                                      last-command-event))
                          electric-pair-skip-self))
                    (save-excursion
-                     (when (and (not (and unconditional
-                                          (eq syntax ?\")))
-                                (setq skip-whitespace-info
-                                      (if (and (not (eq electric-pair-skip-whitespace 'chomp))
-                                               (functionp electric-pair-skip-whitespace))
+                     (when (and
+                            (not (and unconditional (eq syntax ?\")))
+                            (setq skip-whitespace-info
+                                  (if (and
+                                       (not
+                                        (eq electric-pair-skip-whitespace
+                                            'chomp))
+                                       (functionp electric-pair-skip-whitespace))
                                           (funcall electric-pair-skip-whitespace)
                                         electric-pair-skip-whitespace)))
                        (funcall electric-pair-skip-whitespace-function))
@@ -596,7 +627,8 @@ electric-pair-post-self-insert-function
 
 (defun electric-pair-open-newline-between-pairs-psif ()
   "Honor `electric-pair-open-newline-between-pairs'.
-Member of `post-self-insert-hook' if `electric-pair-mode' is on."
+This function is added to `post-self-insert-hook' when
+`electric-pair-mode' is enabled."
   (when (and (if (functionp electric-pair-open-newline-between-pairs)
                  (funcall electric-pair-open-newline-between-pairs)
                electric-pair-open-newline-between-pairs)
@@ -646,15 +678,15 @@ electric-pair-mode-map
 
 ;;;###autoload
 (define-minor-mode electric-pair-mode
-  "Toggle automatic parens pairing (Electric Pair mode).
+  "Toggle automatic pairing of delimiters (Electric Pair mode).
 
-Electric Pair mode is a global minor mode.  When enabled, typing
-an open parenthesis automatically inserts the corresponding
-closing parenthesis, and vice versa.  (Likewise for brackets, etc.).
-If the region is active, the parentheses (brackets, etc.) are
-inserted around the region instead.
+Electric Pair mode is a global minor mode.  When enabled, typing an
+opening delimiter (parenthesis, bracket, etc.) automatically inserts the
+corresponding closing delimiter.  If the region is active, the
+delimiters are inserted around the region instead.
 
-To toggle the mode in a single buffer, use `electric-pair-local-mode'."
+To toggle the mode only in the current buffer, use
+`electric-pair-local-mode'."
   :global t :group 'electricity
   (if electric-pair-mode
       (progn