Subject: Re: bug#7802: bug #7802: 24.0.50; Extraneous `mouse-3' event when do `double-mouse-3'

From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 00:35:24 -0500

Jason Rumney <[email-masked]> writes:

>>  "Maximum time between mouse clicks to make a double-click.
>>   Measured in milliseconds.  The value nil means disable double-click
>>   recognition; t means double-clicks have no time limit and are detected
>>   by position only."  [doc string]
>>
>>  "The variable `double-click-time' specifies how much time can elapse
>>   between clicks and still allow them to be grouped as a multiple click.
>>   Its value is in units of milliseconds.  If the value is `nil', double
>>   clicks are not detected at all.  If the value is `t', then there is no
>>   time limit.  The default is 500."   [(emacs) Mouse Buttons]
>
> 500ms is already a perceptable delay. And some users with motor control
> difficulties may set it much longer.  If we did this I have no doubt
> that YOU would be complaining about the response time of mouse click
> events.

It's cleaner to let the calling Elisp code worry about this.  That is to
say, the caller can bind the first click to a command that starts up a
timer to execute the "single click" action after a short period, and
bind the double click to a command that cancels that timer.

I vaguely recall that we used to try to separate single clicks from
double-click, and the resulting user experience was rather poor.  So it
should not be the default, but rather anyone who cares about this issue
can do as described above.