Subject: bug#7802: bug #7802: 24.0.50; Extraneous `mouse-3' event when do `double-mouse-3'

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 22:36:04 -0800

> > Sounds to me like this "design" is just a side effect of 
> > the implementation.
> 
> That might be the case.  There is a "design" argument in favor of this
> behavior, tho, which is that otherwise we'd have to wait after a click
> before running its command, to check whether it was the first part of
> a double-click or not.

I'm no expert on these things, but isn't that what the system (whatever system
is handling mouse events) needs to do anyway?  Doesn't Windows, for instance,
have to wait to see whether an event is a single-click, double-click, or
triple-click?

I can't see how it could be otherwise (logically).  I can't imagine some action
kicking in just as soon as the first click is detected, without waiting to see
whether the _user_ action is actually a single click or is really a double
click.

> Of course, we could try and only perform this waiting in the 
> case where there is a double-click binding, thus minimizing such
> undesirable delays, but it still might lead to undesirable delays
> giving the impression the system is somewhat unresponsive.

unresponsive...or just smart, correctly sensitive to what the user did.

I suppose your proposed optimization might make sense, if it doesn't lead to any
problems of its own.

But why not just try to wait and see what the user action really is?  How do we
know that would make things seem unresponsive?  Again, I cannot imagine that a
system could short-circuit things the way Emacs apparently does and still be
trustworthy.

I repeat that I know nothing about how such things are handled usually, but what
Emacs does just seems wrong (flawed) to me.  Does it sound right to you?  What
am I missing?  (Probably a lot.)

> PS: Of course, the same holds for double-vs-triple clicks, tho it's
> largely irrelevant.

Triple-clicks are no doubt rarer, if that's what you mean.  But I wouldn't want
to have double-click confirm "Do you really want to vote for Ronald McDonald?"
and have triple-click confirm "Do you really want to launch this missile and
start WW3?"  The way it is designed now nothing important can be allowed to be
disambiguated by the click count, it seems. ;-)