Subject: Re: [bug#78016] [PATCH electronics-team] gnu: Add symbiyosys.

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2025 22:02:49 +0900

tag 78016 + moreinfo
quit

Hi!

Cayetano Santos <[email-masked]> writes:

>>ven. 25 avril 2025 at 15:59, Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the review, I have included all of your comments in v2.
>
>>> +                   ;; remove tests which fail
>>
>> Please use complete sentences for standalone comments [0].  Also try to
>> explain the failures.  When they cannot be explained it's best to report
>> them to the upstream project and keep a reference to the opened issue so
>> that resolution can be tracked.
>
> The failures come from the fact that yosys uses a version of abc which
> differs from the one we package, as a submodule of yosys itself.

> Submitting issues upstream is kind of useless in this case: as you may
> see from their ci actions pipelines, they’re using completely different
> (precompiled) binaries (from their cad suite), even using verific
> proprietary plugins. Guix departs from this logic.
>
> Let’s keep things as they are, while I explore more in detail the effect of
> using different abc versions in our packages.

Okay, thanks for the explanation.  I've looked at this a bit more
closely, and it seems this is a Python application (I previously assumed
only the tests relied on Python, since everything was added to the
native inputs).

Since this is a python application *and* a command, then all
python/libraries the application uses should be moved to the 'inputs'
field of the package, and the bin/sby command should be wrapped using
the same wrapper used in the python-build-system.  The best way to do
that is to import the python-build-system into this build with a prefix
and use its phase.

See the definition of the 'grass' package for an example of such fusion
of gnu-build-system + python-build-system.

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim