Subject: Re: bug#78015: GNOME calendar doesn't save reminders

From: Noé Lopez <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2025 18:59:39 +0200

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> There appears to be an issue with our GNOME calendar (the one accessible
> from the top clock): reminders added to a calendar event are not saved
> when pressing 'Save' after editing the event.  They are silently
> dropped!
>

Can reproduce!

The dbus logs have the errors:
tail /home/noe/.local/state/shepherd/dbus.log
2025-04-23 18:48:54 (gnome-calendar:3577): e-data-server-CRITICAL **: 18:48:54.398: e_source_registry_ref_builtin_calendar: assertion 'source != NULL' failed
2025-04-23 18:48:54 (gnome-calendar:3577): e-data-server-CRITICAL **: 18:48:54.398: e_source_registry_ref_default_calendar: assertion 'E_IS_SOURCE (source)' failed
2025-04-23 18:48:54 (gnome-calendar:3577): e-data-server-CRITICAL **: 18:48:54.398: e_source_hash: assertion 'E_IS_SOURCE (source)' failed
2025-04-23 18:48:54 (gnome-calendar:3577): e-data-server-CRITICAL **: 18:48:54.751: e_source_registry_ref_builtin_calendar: assertion 'source != NULL' failed
2025-04-23 18:48:54 (gnome-calendar:3577): e-data-server-CRITICAL **: 18:48:54.751: e_source_registry_ref_default_calendar: assertion 'E_IS_SOURCE (source)' failed
2025-04-23 18:48:54 (gnome-calendar:3577): e-data-server-CRITICAL **: 18:48:54.751: e_source_hash: assertion 'E_IS_SOURCE (source)' failed
2025-04-23 18:48:54 (gnome-calendar:3577): GcalCalendar-CRITICAL **: 18:48:54.768: gcal_calendar_get_name: assertion 'GCAL_IS_CALENDAR (self)' failed
2025-04-23 18:48:54 (gnome-calendar:3577): GcalCalendar-CRITICAL **: 18:48:54.768: gcal_calendar_is_read_only: assertion 'GCAL_IS_CALENDAR (self)' failed
2025-04-23 18:49:05 (gnome-calendar:3577): GcalCalendar-CRITICAL **: 18:49:05.267: gcal_calendar_is_read_only: assertion 'GCAL_IS_CALENDAR (self)' failed
2025-04-23 18:49:05 (gnome-calendar:3577): GcalCalendar-CRITICAL **: 18:49:05.267: gcal_calendar_get_client: assertion 'GCAL_IS_CALENDAR (self)' failed
2025-04-23 18:49:05 (gnome-calendar:3577): libecal-CRITICAL **: 18:49:05.267: e_cal_client_create_object: assertion 'E_IS_CAL_CLIENT (client)' failed
2025-04-23 18:49:15 (gnome-calendar:3577): e-data-server-CRITICAL **: 18:49:15.097: e_source_registry_ref_builtin_calendar: assertion 'source != NULL' failed
2025-04-23 18:49:15 (gnome-calendar:3577): e-data-server-CRITICAL **: 18:49:15.097: e_source_registry_ref_default_calendar: assertion 'E_IS_SOURCE (source)' failed
2025-04-23 18:49:15 (gnome-calendar:3577): e-data-server-CRITICAL **: 18:49:15.097: e_source_hash: assertion 'E_IS_SOURCE (source)' failed
2025-04-23 18:49:15 (gnome-calendar:3577): GcalCalendar-CRITICAL **: 18:49:15.111: gcal_calendar_get_name: assertion 'GCAL_IS_CALENDAR (self)' failed
2025-04-23 18:49:15 (gnome-calendar:3577): GcalCalendar-CRITICAL **: 18:49:15.111: gcal_calendar_is_read_only: assertion 'GCAL_IS_CALENDAR (self)' failed
2025-04-23 18:49:18 (gnome-calendar:3577): GcalCalendar-CRITICAL **: 18:49:18.739: gcal_calendar_is_read_only: assertion 'GCAL_IS_CALENDAR (self)' failed
2025-04-23 18:49:18 (gnome-calendar:3577): GcalCalendar-CRITICAL **: 18:49:18.739: gcal_calendar_get_client: assertion 'GCAL_IS_CALENDAR (self)' failed
2025-04-23 18:49:18 (gnome-calendar:3577): libecal-CRITICAL **: 18:49:18.739: e_cal_client_create_object: assertion 'E_IS_CAL_CLIENT (client)' failed
2025-04-23 18:49:27 (gnome-calendar:3577): e-data-server-CRITICAL **: 18:49:27.493: e_source_registry_ref_builtin_calendar: assertion 'source != NULL'
2025-04-23 18:49:27 (gnome-calendar:3577): e-data-server-CRITICAL **: 18:49:27.493: e_source_registry_ref_default_calendar: assertion 'E_IS_SOURCE (source)' failed
2025-04-23 18:49:27 (gnome-calendar:3577): e-data-server-CRITICAL **: 18:49:27.493: e_source_hash: assertion 'E_IS_SOURCE (source)' failed

This hints that we have no calendar to save the events to, and indeed
when clicking on calendar on the top left it seems we have a nothing
calendar selected.

Clicking on manage agendas there is also an empty list. Adding an agenda
does not work with these logs:

2025-04-23 18:53:28 (gnome-calendar:3577): GcalManager-WARNING **: 18:53:28.506: Error saving source: The name org.gnome.evolution.dataserver.Sources5 was not provided by any .service files
2025-04-23 18:53:33 (gnome-calendar:3577): GcalManager-WARNING **: 18:53:33.761: Error saving source: The name org.gnome.evolution.dataserver.Sources5 was not provided by any .service files

So, this might be our root issue? Can you reproduce the same errors?