Subject: Re: bug#78014: 30.1.50; wishlist: gnus nnimap background downloading

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2025 17:04:29 +0200

>>>>> On Wed, 23 Apr 2025 06:52:07 -0800, Christopher Howard <[email-masked]> said:

    Christopher> Hi, I use Gnus heavily, and overall I think it is a
    Christopher> great system. However, something a little annoying is
    Christopher> that, if I try to view an e-mail that has a large
    Christopher> attachment, then the whole Emacs session becomes
    Christopher> unresponsive (except for C-g) until the entire e-mail
    Christopher> is downloaded. On my Internet connection, that can be
    Christopher> two or three minutes or more. I'm just wondering if
    Christopher> nnimap could be redesigned in some hopefully simple
    Christopher> way so that I can do other things in Emacs while
    Christopher> waiting for the e-mail to download.

Not directly addressing this, but does setting
`nnimap-fetch-partial-articles' help?

    Christopher> A loosely related complaint is that, now that I have
    Christopher> very many groups via nnrss, nnatom, e-mail splitting,
    Christopher> and usenet, that the Emacs session becomes
    Christopher> unresponsive for about 1-2 minutes whenever I call
    Christopher> gnus-group-get-new-news in the group buffer. It
    Christopher> would, again, be nice if I could do other things in
    Christopher> Emacs while all that fetching is going on. But maybe
    Christopher> I should stay focused here on that nnimap question
    Christopher> specifically.

I have in the past run 2 Emacs, but now my connection is fast enough
that I donʼt need to bother (but then again I leave all my email
remote).

Robert

--