Subject: Installed package content got corrupted in some situations

From: Shyam Saran <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2025 15:41:18 +0530

Installed package content got corrupted in some situations like
with /gnu/ on lvm disk when disk full which later resized online with
lvresize

$ df /gnu
Filesystem                        Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/VGguix-gnu  116G  115G  0G  100% /gnu

which later fixed by below command online, while guix upgrade/install is
going
$ LVPART=/dev/mapper/VGguix-gnu
$ sudo fsck -n $LVPART
$ sudo lvresize -L +10G $LVPART
$ sudo resize2fs $LVPART
$ sudo fsck -n $LVPART

For example
/gnu/store/lysmrhh9i44aawwx406829lw581jizq6-qtbase-5.15.15/lib/libQt5Concurrent.so.5.15.15
file content become zero as during installation space become full due to
less disk space space.
and
sudo guix gc  --verify=repair,contents
also not fixed these issues
and when I has reinstalled whole guixsd os again things started working

Similar case now happened for
/gnu/store/i7z4r54cic4g5s15b1q9k1w5a6kvwadw-gvfs-1.56.1/lib/gvfs/libgvfscommon.so
$ md5sum
/gnu/store/i7z4r54cic4g5s15b1q9k1w5a6kvwadw-gvfs-1.56.1/lib/gvfs/libgvfscommon.so
9543d63a0c2bf7396bd138e0ceb090fa
 /gnu/store/i7z4r54cic4g5s15b1q9k1w5a6kvwadw-gvfs-1.56.1/lib/gvfs/libgvfscommon.so

And here is not way to reinstall it as many other packages are depending on
it
$ guix gc -D  /gnu/store/i7z4r54cic4g5s15b1q9k1w5a6kvwadw-gvfs-1.56.1

finding garbage collector roots...
guix gc: error: cannot delete path
`/gnu/store/i7z4r54cic4g5s15b1q9k1w5a6kvwadw-gvfs-1.56.1' since it is still
alive

This force me to reinstall whole GuixSD

So the grantee that package content will be same is broken in case of disk
full error ( followed by  recover by increasing space online.)

* Either this should not happen at first place, if content error happen
then abort install operation
 (means after install ensure if install is really as expected.)
* Or here were some kind of repair-ability to get out of this problem as
   $ sudo guix gc  --verify=repair,contents
 also not help here

Regards and Thanks,
--
/shyam