Subject: Re: bug#7800: automake fails to honor `-d' in AM_YFLAGS when variable expansions are involved

From: Ralf Corsepius <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2011 04:26:11 +0100

On 01/07/2011 07:53 PM, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> Hello Ralf,
>
> * Ralf Corsepius wrote on Fri, Jan 07, 2011 at 05:52:54PM CET:
>> On 01/07/2011 03:36 PM, Stefano Lattarini wrote:
>>> Currently, automake is not smart enough to resolve variable expansions
>>> in AM_YFLAGS (or foo_YFLAGS) when scanning them for the `-d' flag.
>> This once used to work
>>
>> =>  regression.
> Please, if you make such a statement, include more details: whether you
> know of an Automake version where this used to work, or have code
> examples where it did (including a pointer to the code), or have just
> tried the sample code from the PR.
Well, I would have to dig out ca. 10 years old works, which had 
exploited this.

I also recall having reported issues with automake's "yacc -d" handling 
to Akim when he was maintaining automake and him having worked on it.

I also recall me having abandoned using automake's YACC rules in my 
works, because it repeatedly had been broken during automake's history.

>   If you don't have more details, then
> please also state so; even stating some guess is better than not
> providing any data at all.  With just the above, it is hard to judge.
Ralf