Subject: Re: bug#7800: automake fails to honor `-d' in AM_YFLAGS when variable expansions are involved

From: Ralf Wildenhues <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 19:21:19 +0100

Hi Stefano,

thanks for the report.

* Stefano Lattarini wrote on Fri, Jan 07, 2011 at 03:36:43PM CET:
> Currently, automake is not smart enough to resolve variable expansions
> in AM_YFLAGS (or foo_YFLAGS) when scanning them for the `-d' flag.

value_as_list_recursive can usually help here.

> Not sure if this bug is worth fixing, but having it reported in the bug
> database won't hurt, either (and I might anyway attempt a fix soonish).

The usual complication is what to do if
- the variable is overridden at 'make' time (automake usually punts in
  that case),
- the variable is conditionally set (this usually requires making the
  automake code more complex to solve).

Punting also for the latter is fine if the feature is expected to be
little-used.

Cheers,
Ralf