Subject: Re: bug#77994: 30.1; Yanking paths or Kanji from Windows produces incorrect behaviour for pgtk build on WSL2

From: Tim Jim <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2025 09:53:28 +0800

Hi Po Lu,

Thanks for the tip! You may be on the right train of thought as the extra
mull characters only appear in certain circumstances (such as copying paths
from the Windows File Explorer path bar, and not when copying the same path
from a text file, for example.

Perhaps I'll have to give the W32 config a go - I had mainly used the WSL2
build primarily out of familiarity in Linux and convenience (I'll have to
read up on the W32 side), but the encoding issues and GTK-hang-on
-disconnect bug can be quite annoying!

Thanks for your help also, Eli.

Generally, are these bugs investigated when someone with time and knowledge
happens to stumble across them? Thanks.

On Sat, 28 Jun 2025, 22:24 Po Lu, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> > Ping! Ping! Ping!  Po Lu, are you there?
>
> I am, but I am occupied enough that my inbox has become distinctly
> fickle.  I sould simply suggest that the OP use the W32 configuration in
> preference to WSL2, whose implementation is, from what we've observed
> here, sorely wanting.  Emacs's selection access is slightly more direct
> than most other GTK programs', and has a penchant for revealing encoding
> issues that are otherwise concealed by the high-level GTK clipboard API,
> which auto-detects coding systems and transparently disregards decoding
> failures.
>