Subject: 14.0.9; pdf2dsc not found

From: Sigurd Angenent <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2025 09:59:24 -0500

I recently upgraded to ubuntu 25.04 and preview stopped working.
The error message says pdf2dsc cannot be found

The contents of my latex file:
=================================
\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}
$E=mc^2$
\end{document}
=================================

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 30.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 
3.24.49, cairo version 1.18.4)
  of 2025-03-31, modified by Debian
Package: 14.0.9

Run buffer contents:

Running `Preview-LaTeX' on `test' with ``pdflatex -ini 
-interaction=nonstopmode "&pdflatex" prv_test.ini 
"\nonstopmode\nofiles\PassOptionsToPackage{active,tightpage,auctex}{preview}\AtBeginDocument{\ifx\ifPreview\undefined\RequirePackage[displaymath,floats,graphics,textmath,sections,footnotes]{preview}[2004/11/05]\fi}" 
"\input" "\detokenize{" test.tex "}"''
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.141592653-2.6-1.40.26 (TeX Live 
2025/dev/Debian) (INITEX)
  restricted \write18 enabled.
entering extended mode
(./prv_test.ini
LaTeX2e <2024-11-01> patch level 2
L3 programming layer <2025-01-18>
(/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/latex/mylatex/mylatex.ltx)) 
(/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/latex/tools/.tex File ignored)
No auxiliary output files.

(./test.tex (/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/article.cls
Document Class: article 2024/06/29 v1.4n Standard LaTeX document class
(/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/size10.clo)) )
Beginning to dump on file prv_test.fmt
  (preloaded format=prv_test 2025.4.22)
27079 strings of total length 535046
391283 memory locations dumped; current usage is 287&386713
23601 multiletter control sequences
\font\nullfont=nullfont
\font\c__fp_exp_intarray=cmr10 at 0.00002pt
\font\c__fp_trig_intarray=cmr10 at 0.00003pt
\font\c_initex_cctab=cmr10 at 0.00005pt
\font\c_other_cctab=cmr10 at 0.00006pt
\font\c_str_cctab=cmr10 at 0.00008pt
\font\g_tmpa_cctab=cmr10 at 0.00009pt
\font\g_tmpb_cctab=cmr10 at 0.0001pt
\font\g__regex_state_active_intarray=cmr10 at 0.00012pt
\font\g__regex_thread_info_intarray=cmr10 at 0.00014pt
\font\g__regex_submatch_prev_intarray=cmr10 at 0.00015pt
\font\g__regex_submatch_begin_intarray=cmr10 at 0.00017pt
\font\g__regex_submatch_end_intarray=cmr10 at 0.00018pt
\font\g__regex_submatch_case_intarray=cmr10 at 0.0002pt
\font\g__regex_balance_intarray=cmr10 at 0.00021pt
\font\g__codepoint_category_index_intarray=cmr10 at 0.00023pt
\font\g__codepoint_uppercase_index_intarray=cmr10 at 0.00024pt
\font\g__codepoint_lowercase_index_intarray=cmr10 at 0.00026pt
\font\g__codepoint_category_blocks_intarray=cmr10 at 0.00027pt
\font\g__codepoint_uppercase_blocks_intarray=cmr10 at 0.00029pt
\font\g__codepoint_lowercase_blocks_intarray=cmr10 at 0.0003pt
\font\OMX/cmex/m/n/5=cmex10
\font\tenln=line10
\font\tenlnw=linew10
\font\tencirc=lcircle10
\font\tencircw=lcirclew10
\font\OT1/cmr/m/n/5=cmr5
\font\OT1/cmr/m/n/7=cmr7
\font\OT1/cmr/m/n/10=cmr10
\font\OML/cmm/m/it/5=cmmi5
\font\OML/cmm/m/it/7=cmmi7
\font\OML/cmm/m/it/10=cm...

[...]

     ...ge 14
   54 for language 13
   248 for language 12
   50 for language 11
   23 for language 10
   377 for language 9
   110 for language 8
   63 for language 7
   194 for language 4
   27 for language 3
   2 for language 1
   181 for language 0
0 words of pdfTeX memory
0 indirect objects
No pages of output.
Transcript written on prv_test.log.

TeX Output finished at Tue Apr 22 09:53:02
Running `Preview-LaTeX' on `test' with ``pdflatex 
-interaction=nonstopmode -file-line-error \&prv_test "/AUCTEXINPUT{" 
test.tex "}"''
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.141592653-2.6-1.40.26 (TeX Live 
2025/dev/Debian) (preloaded format=pdflatex)
  restricted \write18 enabled.
entering extended mode
LaTeX2e <2024-11-01> patch level 2
L3 programming layer <2025-01-18>
CUSTOMISED FORMAT. Preloaded files:
         .
  article.cls    2024/06/29 v1.4n Standard LaTeX document class
   size10.clo    2024/06/29 v1.4n Standard LaTeX file (size option)
         .
(./test.tex 
(/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/latex/l3backend/l3backend-pdftex.def)
No file test.aux.
(/home/angenent/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-14.0.9/latex/preview.sty 
(/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/generic/luatex85/luatex85.sty) 
(/home/angenent/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-14.0.9/latex/prtightpage.def) 
(/home/angenent/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-14.0.9/latex/prauctex.def
No auxiliary output files.

(/home/angenent/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-14.0.9/latex/prauctex.cfg)) 
(/home/angenent/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-14.0.9/latex/prfootnotes.def)
Preview: Fontsize 10pt
Preview: PDFoutput 1
)
./test.tex:3: Preview: Snippet 1 started.
<-><->

l.3 $
      E=mc^2$
Preview: Tightpage -32891 -32891 32891 32891
./test.tex:3: Preview: Snippet 1 ended.(533465+0x2548391).
<-><->

l.3 $E=mc^2$

[1{/var/lib/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map}] )
(see the transcript file for additional 
information)</usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/public/amsfonts/cm/cmmi10.pfb></usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/public/amsfonts/cm/cmr10.pfb></usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/public/amsfonts/cm/cmr7.pfb>
Output written on test.pdf (1 page, 25585 bytes).
Transcript written on test.log.

TeX Output exited as expected with code 1 at Tue Apr 22 09:53:03
Running `Preview-PDF2DSC' with ``pdf2dsc test.pdf 
test.prv/tmpey1aQ7/preview.dsc''
/bin/sh: 1: pdf2dsc: not found

Preview-PDF2DSC exited abnormally with code 127 at Tue Apr 22 09:53:03
PDF2DSC sentinel: Opening input file: No such file or directory, 
/home/angenent/Documents/peanuts/test.prv/tmpey1aQ7/preview.dsc

current state:
==============
(setq
  AUCTeX-version "14.0.9"
  LaTeX-command-style '((""
             "%(PDF)%(latex) %(file-line-error) %(extraopts) 
%(output-dir) %S%(PDFout)")
                )
  image-types '(svg webp png gif tiff jpeg xpm xbm pbm)
  preview-image-type 'png
  preview-image-creators '((dvipng (open preview-gs-open 
preview-dvipng-process-setup)
                (place preview-gs-place) (close preview-dvipng-close))
               (png (open preview-gs-open) (place preview-gs-place)
                (close preview-gs-close))
               (jpeg (open preview-gs-open) (place preview-gs-place)
                (close preview-gs-close))
               (pnm (open preview-gs-open) (place preview-gs-place)
                (close preview-gs-close))
               (tiff (open preview-gs-open) (place preview-gs-place)
                (close preview-gs-close))
               )
  preview-dvipng-image-type 'png
  preview-dvipng-command "dvipng -picky -noghostscript %d -o 
%m/prev%%03d.png"
  preview-pdf2dsc-command "pdf2dsc %(O?pdf) %m/preview.dsc"
  preview-gs-command "/usr/bin/rungs"
  preview-gs-options '("-q" "-dDELAYSAFER" "-dNOPAUSE" "-DNOPLATFONTS" 
"-dPrinted"
               "-dTextAlphaBits=4" "-dGraphicsAlphaBits=4")
  preview-gs-image-type-alist '((png png "-sDEVICE=png16m") (dvipng png 
"-sDEVICE=png16m")
                    (jpeg jpeg "-sDEVICE=jpeg") (pnm pbm "-sDEVICE=pnmraw")
                    (tiff tiff "-sDEVICE=tiff12nc"))
  preview-fast-conversion t
  preview-prefer-TeX-bb nil
  preview-dvips-command "dvips -Pwww -i -E %d -o %m/preview.000"
  preview-fast-dvips-command "dvips -Pwww %d -o %m/preview.ps"
  preview-scale-function 'preview-scale-from-face
  preview-LaTeX-command '("%`%l 
\"\\nonstopmode\\nofiles\\PassOptionsToPackage{"
              ("," . preview-required-option-list)
"}{preview}\\AtBeginDocument{\\ifx\\ifPreview\\undefined"
              preview-default-preamble
              "\\fi}\"%' \"\\detokenize{\" %(t-filename-only) \"}\"")
  preview-required-option-list '("active" "tightpage" "auctex"
                 (preview-preserve-counters "counters"))
  preview-preserve-counters nil
  preview-default-option-list '("displaymath" "floats" "graphics" 
"textmath" "sections"
                    "footnotes")
  preview-default-preamble '("\\RequirePackage[" ("," . 
preview-default-option-list)
                 "]{preview}[2004/11/05]")
  preview-LaTeX-command-replacements nil
  preview-dump-replacements '(preview-LaTeX-command-replacements
                  ("\\`\\([^ ]+\\)\\(?: +\\(?:\\(--?kanji[= ][^ 
]+\\)\\|\\(--?output-directory[= ][^ ]+\\)\\|-\\(?:[^ 
\\\"]\\|\\\\.\\|\"[^\"]*\"\\)*\\)\\)*\\(.*\\)\\'" "\\1 -ini \\2 \\3 
-interaction=nonstopmode \"&\\1\" " preview-format-name ".ini \\4")
                  )
  preview-undump-replacements '(("\\`\\([^ ]+\\)\\(?: 
+\\(?:\\(--?kanji[= ][^ ]+\\)\\|\\(--?output-directory[= ][^ 
]+\\)\\|-\\(?:[^ \\\"]\\|\\\\.\\|\"[^\"]*\"\\)*\\)\\)*.* \"\\\\input\" 
\"\\\\detokenize{\" \\(.*\\) \"}\"\\'" "\\1 \\2 \\3 
-interaction=nonstopmode -file-line-error " preview-format-name " 
\"/AUCTEXINPUT{\" \\4 \"}\"")
                    )
  preview-auto-cache-preamble 'ask
  preview-TeX-style-dir "/home/angenent/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-14.0.9/latex"
  )

Output from running `/usr/bin/rungs -h':
GPL Ghostscript 10.05.0 (2025-03-12)
Copyright (C) 2025 Artifex Software, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Usage: gs [switches] [file1.ps file2.ps ...]
Most frequently used switches: (you can use # in place of =)
  -dNOPAUSE           no pause after page   | -q       `quiet', fewer 
messages
  -g<width>x<height>  page size in pixels   | -r<res>  pixels/inch 
resolution
  -sDEVICE=<devname>  select device         | -dBATCH  exit after last file
  -sOutputFile=<file> select output file: - for stdout, |command for pipe,
                                          embed %d or %ld for page #
Input formats: PostScript PostScriptLevel1 PostScriptLevel2 
PostScriptLevel3 PDF
Default output device: x11alpha
Available devices:
    alc1900 alc2000 alc4000 alc4100 alc8500 alc8600 alc9100 ap3250 appledmp
    appleraster atx23 atx24 atx38 bbox bit bitcmyk bitrgb bitrgbtags bj10e
    bj10v bj10vh bj200 bjc600 bjc800 bjc880j bjccmyk bjccolor bjcgray 
bjcmono
    bmp16 bmp16m bmp256 bmp32b bmpgray bmpmono bmpsep1 bmpsep8 ccr cdeskjet
    cdj1600 cdj500 cdj550 cdj670 cdj850 cdj880 cdj890 cdj970 cdjcolor 
cdjmono
    cdnj500 cfax chp2200 cif cljet5 cljet5c cljet5pr coslw2p coslwxl cups
    declj250 deskjet devicen dfaxhigh dfaxlow display dj505j djet500 
djet500c
    dl2100 dnj650c epl2050 epl2050p epl2120 epl2500 epl2750 epl5800 epl5900
    epl6100 epl6200 eplcolor eplmono eps2write eps9high eps9mid epson epsonc
    escp escpage faxg3 faxg32d faxg4 fmlbp fmpr fpng fs600 gdi hl1240 hl1250
    hl7x0 hocr hpdj1120c hpdj310 hpdj320 hpdj340 hpdj400 hpdj500 hpdj500c
    hpdj510 hpdj520 hpdj540 hpdj550c hpdj560c hpdj600 hpdj660c hpdj670c
    hpdj680c hpdj690c hpdj850c hpdj855c hpdj870c hpdj890c hpdjplus
    hpdjportable ibmpro ijs imagen inferno ink_cov inkcov itk24i itk38 iwhi
    iwlo iwlq jetp3852 jj100 jpeg jpegcmyk jpeggray la50 la70 la75 la75plus
    laserjet lbp310 lbp320 lbp8 lex2050 lex3200 lex5700 lex7000 lips2p lips3
    lips4 lips4v lj250 lj3100sw lj4dith lj4dithp lj5gray lj5mono ljet2p 
ljet3
    ljet3d ljet4 ljet4d ljet4pjl ljetplus ln03 lp1800 lp1900 lp2000 lp2200
    lp2400 lp2500 lp2563 lp3000c lp7500 lp7700 lp7900 lp8000 lp8000c lp8100
    lp8200c lp8300c lp8300f lp8400f lp8500c lp8600 lp8600f lp8700 lp8800c
    lp8900 lp9000b lp9000c lp9100 lp9200b lp9200c lp9300 lp9400 lp9500c
    lp9600 lp9600s lp9800c lps4500 lps6500 lq850 lxm3200 lxm5700m m8510
    md1xMono md2k md50Eco md50Mono md5k mgr4 mgr8 mgrgray2 mgrgray4 mgrgray8
    mgrmono miff24 mj500c mj6000c mj700v2c mj8000c ml600 necp6 npdl nullpage
    oce9050 ocr oki182 oki4w okiibm oprp opvp paintjet pam pamcmyk32 
pamcmyk4
    pbm pbmraw pcl3 pclm pclm8 pcx16 pcx24b pcx256 pcxcmyk pcxgray pcxmono
    pdfimage24 pdfimage32 pdfimage8 pdfocr24 pdfocr32 pdfocr8 pdfwrite
    pdfwrite pdfwrite pgm pgmraw pgnm pgnmraw photoex picty180 pj pjetxl 
pjxl
    pjxl300 pkm pkmraw pksm pksmraw plan plan9bm planc plang plank planm 
plib
    plibc plibg plibk plibm png16 png16m png16malpha png256 png48 pngalpha
    pnggray pngmono pngmonod pnm pnmraw ppm ppmraw pppm pr1000 pr1000_4 
pr150
    pr201 ps2write psdcmyk psdcmyk16 psdcmykog psdcmyktags psdcmyktags16
    psdrgb psdrgb16 psdrgbtags pwgraster pxlcolor pxlmono r4081 rinkj rpdl
    samsunggdi sj48 spotcmyk st800 stcolor t4693d2 t4693d4 t4693d8 tek4696
    tiff12nc tiff24nc tiff32nc tiff48nc tiff64nc tiffcrle tiffg3 tiffg32d
    tiffg4 tiffgray tifflzw tiffpack tiffscaled tiffscaled24 tiffscaled32
    tiffscaled4 tiffscaled8 tiffsep tiffsep1 txtwrite uniprint urf urfcmyk
    urfgray urfrgb x11 x11alpha x11cmyk x11cmyk2 x11cmyk4 x11cmyk8 x11gray2
    x11gray4 x11mono x11rg16x x11rg32x xcf xcfcmyk xes xpswrite
Search path:
    /usr/share/ghostscript/10.05.0/Resource/Init :
    /usr/share/ghostscript/10.05.0/lib :
    /usr/share/ghostscript/10.05.0/Resource/Font :
    /usr/share/ghostscript/fonts : /var/lib/ghostscript/fonts :
    /usr/share/cups/fonts : /usr/share/ghostscript/fonts :
    /usr/local/lib/ghostscript/fonts : /usr/share/fonts
Ghostscript is also using fontconfig to search for font files
For more information, see 
https://ghostscript.readthedocs.io/en/gs10.05.0/Use.html
On debian system you may need to install ghostscript-doc package.
Please report bugs to bugs.ghostscript.com.