Subject: Re: [bug#77990] [PATCH v2] gnu: Add emacs-ffi.

From: Suhail Singh <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2025 22:32:28 -0400

Cayetano Santos <[email-masked]> writes:

>> +              ;; Install the shared object file into /lib.
>> +              (install-file "build/lib/ffi-module.so"
>> +                            (string-append #$output "/lib"))))
>
> I have a doubt about where do we  put .so files.
>
> - lib
> - lib/package
> - lib/emacs (see emacs-jinx)
>
> Other than this, LFTM.

IIUC the standard place for shared libraries is in #$output/lib.  I
don't know of any reason to deviate from that in this case.  To the
extent it matters, at least one other dynamic module (emacs-sqlite3-api)
also uses that convention.

I'm no authority, but it seems that Emacs dynamic modules are simply
less consistent about storing libraries in the standard location, rather
than there being a principled reason against using the standard
convention.

Thanks for the review.

-- 
Suhail