Subject: bug#7799: 24.0.50; Animated images display strangely

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2011 06:04:25 +0100

When displaying some animated images, they look somewhat broken.  Here's
a test case:

(url-retrieve
 "http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/funny-pictures-gifs-standing-cat.gif?w=215&h=205"
 (lambda (status)
   (goto-char (point-min))
   (search-forward "\n\n")
   (let ((data (buffer-substring (point) (point-max))))
     (pop-to-buffer "*animate*")
     (insert-image
      (create-animated-image data 'gif t)))))

Apparently these are GIF images that have a background images, and the
rest of the frames are of the "combine" type.  Emacs doesn't seem to do
the right thing in that case, although other animated GIFs look fine.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1)
 of 2011-01-07 on quimbies
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10707000
Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: iso-latin-1-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent input:
C-y C-x C-e C-x s C-x o C-x 1 M-x r e p o r t - e m 
<tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Ido mode enabled
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Mark set
Contacting host: icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com:80
#<buffer  *http icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com:80*>
Reading [image/gif]... 1.47M of 1.47M (100%) [2 times]
Reading... done.
(No files need saving)

Load-path shadows:
~/pgnus/contrib/vcard hides /home/larsi/lisp/vcard
~/lisp/zenirc-2.112/src/zenirc-example hides /home/larsi/lisp/zenirc-example
~/jukebox/lisp/captitle hides /home/larsi/lisp/captitle
~/jukebox/lisp/expect hides /home/larsi/lisp/expect
/home/larsi/lisp/footnote hides /home/larsi/src/emacs/trunk/lisp/mail/footnote
~/pgnus/contrib/compface hides /home/larsi/src/emacs/trunk/lisp/gnus/compface
~/jukebox/lisp/time-date hides /home/larsi/src/emacs/trunk/lisp/calendar/time-date

Features:
(shadow sort hashcash message sendmail rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader emacsbug
mail-utils url-cache url-http tls mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums url-gw url-auth url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-util url-parse auth-source netrc
gnus-util url-vars mm-util mail-prsvr mailcap ido flyspell ispell dired
regexp-opt add-log mail-extr jka-compr cl tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe
lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
loaddefs button minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties overlay
md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
dynamic-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty emacs)

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  [email-masked] * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen