Subject: bug#77988: 31.0.50; No more images after fullscreen and load-theme

From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2025 16:12:45 +0200

Hi,

I have a nasty bug with the following minimal recipe:

       - emacs -Q
       - M-: (find-file "etc/images/gnus/gnus.svg")
       - M-: (set-frame-parameter nil 'fullscreen 'fullboth)
       - M-: (load-theme 'modus-operandi)

The image disappears (or is replaced by garbage) and I'm not able to
open any other image afterward.  FWIW, it seems that this bug only shows
on a lucid build.

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 5, x86_64-unknown-openbsd7.7, X toolkit) of
 2025-04-22 built on computer
Repository revision: 871ec9615a949e967bf7d19466eb9c56ed80ff7e
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101016
System Description: OpenBSD computer 7.7 GENERIC.MP#625 amd64

Configured using:
 'configure CC=egcc CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include
 LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib MAKEINFO=gmakeinfo --prefix=/home/manuel/emacs
 --bindir=/home/manuel/bin --with-x-toolkit=lucid
 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars=no --without-cairo
 --without-compress-install'

Configured features:
DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG LCMS2 LIBOTF
LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE PDUMPER PNG RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS
TIFF TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XAW3D XDBE XFT XIM XINERAMA XINPUT2 XPM XRANDR
LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  gnus-topic-mode: t
  debbugs-browse-mode: t
  bug-reference-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  exwm-randr-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  repeat-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.33/exwm
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-xsettings hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.33/exwm-xsettings
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-xim hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.33/exwm-xim
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-workspace hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.33/exwm-workspace
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-randr hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.33/exwm-randr
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-manage hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.33/exwm-manage
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-layout hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.33/exwm-layout
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-input hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.33/exwm-input
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-floating hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.33/exwm-floating
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-systemtray hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.33/exwm-systemtray
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-core hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.33/exwm-core
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-background hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.33/exwm-background
/home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/ef-themes-1.9.0/theme-loaddefs hides /home/manuel/emacs/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/theme-loaddefs
/home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/idlwave-6.5.1/idlwave hides /home/manuel/emacs/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/obsolete/idlwave
/home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/idlwave-6.5.1/idlw-toolbar hides /home/manuel/emacs/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/obsolete/idlw-toolbar
/home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/idlwave-6.5.1/idlw-shell hides /home/manuel/emacs/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/obsolete/idlw-shell
/home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/idlwave-6.5.1/idlw-help hides /home/manuel/emacs/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/obsolete/idlw-help
/home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/idlwave-6.5.1/idlw-complete-structtag hides /home/manuel/emacs/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/obsolete/idlw-complete-structtag

Features:
(shadow emacsbug lisp-mnt sort gnus-cite flow-fill mail-extr textsec
uni-scripts idna-mapping ucs-normalize uni-confusable textsec-check
gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-ml disp-table gnus-topic mm-archive url-cache
qp utf-7 imap rfc2104 nndoc nndraft nnmh network-stream nnfolder nnml
gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-cache
gnus-demon nntp nnrss misearch multi-isearch tex-mode slime-asdf grep
slime-tramp tramp trampver tramp-integration tramp-message tramp-compat
shell tramp-loaddefs slime-fancy slime-indentation slime-cl-indent
cl-indent slime-trace-dialog slime-fontifying-fu slime-package-fu
slime-references slime-compiler-notes-tree advice slime-scratch
slime-presentations slime-macrostep slime-mdot-fu
slime-enclosing-context slime-fuzzy slime-fancy-trace
slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c slime-editing-commands slime-autodoc
slime-repl slime-parse slime apropos etags fileloop xref arc-mode
archive-mode hyperspec semantic/wisent/grammar semantic/bovine
semantic/grammar help-fns radix-tree semantic/idle semantic/analyze
semantic/sort semantic/scope semantic/analyze/fcn semantic/db
semantic/grammar-wy semantic/format semantic/tag-ls semantic/find
semantic/ctxt semantic/wisent semantic/wisent/wisent semantic/util-modes
semantic/util semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local
cedet org-agenda rng-xsd xsd-regexp rng-cmpct rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc
rng-uri rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns
nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap sgml-mode facemenu nxml-util nxml-enc
xmltok make-mode flymake compile view python project org-indent oc-basic
org-element org-persist org-id org-element-ast inline avl-tree generator
ol-eww eww vtable url-queue mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info
ol-gnus nnselect ol-docview doc-view filenotify jka-compr image-mode
exif ol-bibtex bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi cus-start
gnus-icalendar org-capture org-refile org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete pcomplete
comint ansi-osc ansi-color org-list org-footnote org-faces org-entities
noutline outline org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-cycle
org-table ol org-fold org-fold-core org-keys oc org-loaddefs org-compat
org-macs format-spec mule-util on-screen macrostep-c cmacexp macrostep
vc-dir ewoc vc-hg vc-git diff-mode track-changes files-x vc-bzr vc-src
vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs log-view log-edit add-log pcvs-util vc
vc-dispatcher debbugs-browse bug-reference sh-script rx smie treesit
executable gnus-dired time battery desktop frameset exwm-randr xcb-randr
exwm exwm-input xcb-keysyms xcb-xkb exwm-manage exwm-floating xcb-cursor
xcb-render exwm-layout exwm-workspace exwm-core xcb-ewmh xcb-icccm xcb
xcb-xproto xcb-types xcb-debug server ef-themes
modus-operandi-tinted-theme modus-themes zone speed-type dash thingatpt
url-http url-auth url-gw nsm compat ytdious ring mpdired transmission
color calc-bin calc-ext calc calc-loaddefs rect calc-macs supercite regi
ebdb-gnus gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls
dig gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg dom gnus-group
gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail
mail-source utf7 nnoo parse-time iso8601 gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range
gnus-win ebdb-message message yank-media puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa
derived epg rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 gmm-utils mailheader ebdb-mua ebdb-com crm ebdb-format ebdb
mailabbrev eieio-opt speedbar ezimage dframe find-func eieio-base
timezone icalendar gnus nnheader gnus-util text-property-search
time-date range sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mail-utils erlang-start idlwave idlwave-menus idlw-menus
idlwave-bindings idlw-bindings idlwave-routine idlw-routine idlwave-scan
idlw-scan idlwave-help idlw-help idlwave-complete idlw-complete
idlwave-variables idlw-variables skeleton cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess
cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs elec-pair
edmacro kmacro use-package-bind-key bind-key appt diary-lib
diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs pcase dired-x dired-aux
dired dired-loaddefs use-package-core repeat easy-mmode cus-edit pp
cus-load wid-edit debbugs-autoloads ebdb-autoloads cl-extra help-mode
ef-themes-autoloads elpher-autoloads exwm-autoloads gnuplot-autoloads
hyperbole-autoloads kotl-autoloads hact set hhist idlwave-autoloads
notmuch-autoloads on-screen-autoloads osm-autoloads pdf-tools-autoloads
rust-mode-autoloads slime-autoloads warnings macrostep-autoloads
speed-type-autoloads info dash-autoloads sudo-edit-autoloads
svg-clock-autoloads tablist-autoloads transmission-autoloads
xelb-autoloads ytdious-autoloads package browse-url xdg url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs icons password-cache json
subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib
rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode
register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind kqueue lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar
make-network-process tty-child-frames emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1088108 444189) (symbols 48 62510 40)
 (strings 32 306562 9080) (string-bytes 1 9162158) (vectors 16 187546)
 (vector-slots 8 2554645 95895) (floats 8 682 1144)
 (intervals 56 20781 559) (buffers 992 142))

-- 
Manuel Giraud