Subject: [bug#77975] [PATCH 00/32] Astro update 2025/04.

From: Hilton Chain <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2025 18:39:30 +0800

On Tue, 22 Apr 2025 16:38:06 +0800,
Sharlatan Hellseher wrote:
>
> [1  <text/plain (7bit)>]
>
> Hi Hilton,
>
> Thanks for lightning response!
>
> If I move the rust-moc into astronomy module where I'll use it in python
> package in the future would it be OK? Also I've submitted 2 or 3 patches

No problem.

> where Rust was involved in Python do I need to warry about them be
> removed?

On rust-team I have already removed #:cargo-inputs for all packages out of
crates-* modules and made a DRAFT commit to remove all crates-* modules.  Let me
know if you need some of them and where to place them.

I'll send patch for a blog post and explain all things.  gnome-team and
python-team are big Rust users so I'll CC you too.  Whether to remove these
modules or not and when to remove them will be covered then too.  My current
plan is to make a channel and place these modules there as-is, so an external
user can still have them without changing module imports.

> And if you give me some example on the current/upcoming Rust package
> format and how to deal with intermediate dependencies please.

See latest revision of [1] for the documentation change.  And rust-team commits,
you might be interested in the ones removing #:cargo-inputs and changing bulid
systems.

For simplicity a Rust programs directly depends on all dependencies, so we don't
need to handle them.  This allowed me to migrate the 150 Rust programs and 3600+
dependencies within two weeks.  I have briefly checked all their sources and
unbundled more dependencies. :)
---
[1] New Rust packaging workflow based on lockfile importer.
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/77093
https://yhetil.org/guix-patches/[email-masked]/