Subject: Re: bug#77974: Manual updates for the VC-aware project backend

From: Sean Whitton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2025 10:48:28 +0800

Hello,

On Mon 28 Apr 2025 at 01:39am +03, Dmitry Gutov wrote:

> "Neither registered nor ignored" sounds like the definition for
> "unregistered", actually.
>
> Sounds good to me as a phrasing (might even be more accurate than the Git
> definition I quoted previously).

Thanks.  I've tweaked the phrasing slightly.

>> ... possibly with a cross-reference to the definitions of the VC terms.
>
> If there is a node to reference, happy to.

Turns out there is not.  Hrm.

>> (And maybe we should rename the variable?)
>
> Doesn't seem worth the hassle for us and existing users, TBH.

I've added a FIXME to keep thinking about it
(hope it's okay with you for me to go ahead and add such a thing to
project.el, let me know if not).

My thinking is: if we have another very popular VCS in the future which
doesn't use the name "untracked", then falling back on our own existing
"unregistered" terminology to unify things would be better than using
Git and Hg's "untracked" in this one place.

-- 
Sean Whitton