Subject: Re: bug#77974: Manual updates for the VC-aware project backend

From: Sean Whitton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2025 15:48:32 +0800

Hello,

On Sun 27 Apr 2025 at 09:29am +03, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Then please get used to them: that's how we introduce terminology in
> Texinfo.  (In HTML and printed output, there's no quotes; instead, the
> term has slanted typeface.  But that cannot be used in Info output.)

TIL.  Thanks.  They are not scare quotes if they are replaced with
slanted text.

It can be used in *Info* on graphical frames just like how Gnus already
displays italics sometimes; I will see about enabling that for Info too.

>> I think you can just say
>>
>>     ... excluding files the VCS has been configured to ignore from its
>>     output.
>
> I see no reason to avoid accepted terminology, because that makes the
> text less clear and potentially more confusing.  Anyone who uses a VCS
> knows what are ignored and untracked files; by contrast, "files the
> VCS has been configured to ignore from its output" is both wordier and
> less definitive.

"files the VCS has been configured to ignore", not "files the VCS has
been configured to ignore from its output", to be clear.

I was just thinking that an untracked file is one the VCS is ignoring,
in a sense, but it has not been configured to ignore.

If we don't think we are going to confuse anyone by using the VC terms,
that's fine with me.

-- 
Sean Whitton