Subject: bug#77974: Manual updates for the VC-aware project backend

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2025 09:29:50 +0300

> Cc: [email-masked]
> From: Sean Whitton <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2025 13:12:49 +0800
> 
> > +@node VC-Aware Project Backend
> > +
> > +This backend is used by default.  It determines the contents of the
> > +project based on the VCS repository's configuration (if any), excluding
> > +the ``ignored'' files from the output.
> 
> I'd prefer to avoid the scare quotes around both 'ignored' and
> 'untracked' (I dislike scare quotes almost as much as Eli dislikes the
> passive voice ;)).

Then please get used to them: that's how we introduce terminology in
Texinfo.  (In HTML and printed output, there's no quotes; instead, the
term has slanted typeface.  But that cannot be used in Info output.)

There's nothing scary about introducing new terminology.

> I think you can just say
> 
>     ... excluding files the VCS has been configured to ignore from its
>     output.

I see no reason to avoid accepted terminology, because that makes the
text less clear and potentially more confusing.  Anyone who uses a VCS
knows what are ignored and untracked files; by contrast, "files the
VCS has been configured to ignore from its output" is both wordier and
less definitive.