Subject: 30.1; Packages sometimes don't load after compilation

From: Dan McCarthy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2025 10:25:07 -0400

I'm currently seeing similar behavior to what's described in #26993 with
the jira.el package. The currently installed version is 20250409.1800,
but C-h f jira-issues reports:

Cannot open doc string file
"/home/blakestone/.emacs.d/elpa/jira-20250324.1926/jira-issues.elc"

But I'm also seeing some behavior differences that imply that the actual
functions in 20250409.1800 weren't loaded, not just the docstrings.
Specifically, in 20250324.1926, jira-issues calls delete-other-windows.
The current version doesn't do that anymore, but when I run M-x
jira-issues it still deletes my windows. Starting a fresh Emacs fixes
everything. So it seems like the problem is somewhere in
package--reload-previously-loaded.

Something that might matter: I have been working with a local fork of
jira.el, installed with package-vc-install-from-checkout. After seeing
the error I tried to fix it by deleting my fork with package-delete,
then installing 20250409.1800 normally, but that didn't change the
behavior. But I've also seen the docstring error intermittently with
other packages that I haven't installed from a local checkout; magit,
forge, and markdown-mode come to mind.

Here are the entries in load-history pertaining to jira.el:

 ("/home/blakestone/.emacs.d/elpa/jira/jira-autoloads.el"
  (provide . jira-autoloads))
  ...
 ("/home/blakestone/.emacs.d/elpa/jira-20250409.1800/jira-autoloads.el"
  (provide . jira-autoloads))
  ...
 ("/home/blakestone/.emacs.d/elpa/jira-20250324.1926/jira.elc"
  (require . jira-issues) (require . jira-tempo) jira-version
  (provide . jira))

In GNU Emacs 30.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.31,
 cairo version 1.16.0) of 2025-02-24 built on october.example.org
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12014000
System Description: Slackware 15.0 x86_64

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND
SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM
GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ELisp/l

Minor modes in effect:
  switchy-window-minor-mode: t
  projectile-mode: t
  bug-reference-prog-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  activities-tabs-mode: t
  activities-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tab-bar-history-mode: t
  tab-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/blakestone/.emacs.d/elpa/jira-20250409.1800/jira-actions hides
/home/blakestone/.emacs.d/elpa/jira/jira-actions
/home/blakestone/.emacs.d/elpa/jira-20250409.1800/jira-detail hides
/home/blakestone/.emacs.d/elpa/jira/jira-detail
/home/blakestone/.emacs.d/elpa/jira-20250409.1800/jira-autoloads hides
/home/blakestone/.emacs.d/elpa/jira/jira-autoloads
/home/blakestone/.emacs.d/elpa/jira-20250409.1800/jira-table hides
/home/blakestone/.emacs.d/elpa/jira/jira-table
/home/blakestone/.emacs.d/elpa/jira-20250409.1800/jira-tempo hides
/home/blakestone/.emacs.d/elpa/jira/jira-tempo
/home/blakestone/.emacs.d/elpa/jira-20250409.1800/jira-pkg hides
/home/blakestone/.emacs.d/elpa/jira/jira-pkg
/home/blakestone/.emacs.d/elpa/jira-20250409.1800/jira-fmt hides
/home/blakestone/.emacs.d/elpa/jira/jira-fmt
/home/blakestone/.emacs.d/elpa/jira-20250409.1800/jira-doc hides
/home/blakestone/.emacs.d/elpa/jira/jira-doc
/home/blakestone/.emacs.d/elpa/jira-20250409.1800/jira-issues hides
/home/blakestone/.emacs.d/elpa/jira/jira-issues
/home/blakestone/.emacs.d/elpa/jira-20250409.1800/jira-utils hides
/home/blakestone/.emacs.d/elpa/jira/jira-utils
/home/blakestone/.emacs.d/elpa/jira-20250409.1800/jira-api hides
/home/blakestone/.emacs.d/elpa/jira/jira-api
/home/blakestone/.emacs.d/elpa/jira-20250409.1800/jira hides
/home/blakestone/.emacs.d/elpa/jira/jira
/home/blakestone/.emacs.d/elpa/jira-20250409.1800/jira hides
~/emacs-lisp/jira
/home/blakestone/.emacs.d/elpa/activities-0.7.2/activities-tabs hides
/home/blakestone/.emacs.d/elpa/activities.el/activities-tabs
/home/blakestone/.emacs.d/elpa/activities-0.7.2/activities hides
/home/blakestone/.emacs.d/elpa/activities.el/activities
/home/blakestone/.emacs.d/elpa/activities-0.7.2/activities-list hides
/home/blakestone/.emacs.d/elpa/activities.el/activities-list
/home/blakestone/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20250401.1655/transient hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/30.1/lisp/transient
/home/blakestone/.emacs.d/elpa/dictionary-20201001.1727/dictionary hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/30.1/lisp/net/dictionary

Features:
(git-link js c-ts-common php-mode speedbar ezimage dframe php-face php
php-project flymake timezone c-eldoc cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus
cc-styles cc-align textsec uni-scripts idna-mapping ucs-normalize
uni-confusable textsec-check elfeed-show elfeed-search shr pixel-fill
kinsoku svg dom elfeed-csv elfeed elfeed-curl elfeed-log elfeed-db
elfeed-lib avl-tree url-queue url-file xml-query pulse emoji-labels
emoji multisession sqlite tabify flyspell ispell shadow sort mail-extr
ehelp emacsbug reposition disass finder jka-compr debug backtrace
cl-print vc-annotate vc-dir ewoc vc-filewise shortdoc goto-addr
magit-extras misearch multi-isearch loaddefs-gen mm-archive
network-stream url-cache package-vc vc cus-edit cus-start lisp-mnt
finder-inf display-line-numbers dired-aux comp-common help-fns
radix-tree emacsql-sqlite-builtin face-remap diary-lib diary-loaddefs
tramp-cmds tramp-cache time-stamp tramp-sh go-mode find-file ffap etags
fileloop xref session desktop frameset cua-base cus-load switchy-window
clang-format+ clang-format vc-git vc-dispatcher cc-cmds cc-engine
cc-vars cc-defs package-x notifications dbus xml jira jira-issues
jira-detail jira-doc jira-actions jira-tempo jira-fmt jira-utils
jira-table jira-api tablist tablist-filter semantic/wisent/comp
semantic/wisent semantic/wisent/wisent jiralib2 dash request
use-package-core jira-markup-mode vtable mule-util tar-mode arc-mode
archive-mode arrow-keys semantic/symref/grep semantic/symref
semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex
semantic/fw mode-local cedet realgud realgud-zshdb
realgud:zshdb-track-mode realgud:zshdb-core realgud:zshdb-init
realgud-trepan3k realgud:trepan3k-track-mode realgud:trepan3k-core
realgud:trepan3k-init realgud-trepan2 realgud:trepan2-track-mode
realgud:trepan2-core realgud:trepan2-init realgud-trepanpl
realgud:trepanpl-track-mode realgud:trepanpl-core realgud:trepanpl-init
realgud-trepanjs realgud:trepanjs-track-mode realgud:trepanjs-core
realgud:trepanjs-init realgud-lang-js realgud-trepan
realgud:trepan-track-mode realgud:trepan-core realgud:trepan-init
realgud-remake realgud:remake-track-mode realgud:remake-core
realgud:remake-init realgud-rdebug realgud-rdebug-track-mode
realgud-rdebug-core realgud-rdebug-init realgud-lang-ruby realgud-perldb
realgud:perldb-track-mode realgud:perldb-core realgud:perldb-init
realgud-lang-perl realgud-pdb realgud:pdb-track-mode realgud:pdb-core
realgud:pdb-init realgud-lang-python python realgud-kshdb
realgud:kshdb-track-mode realgud:kshdb-core realgud:kshdb-init
realgud-gub realgud:gub-track-mode realgud:gub-core realgud:gub-init
realgud-gdb realgud:gdb-track-mode realgud:gdb-init realgud:gdb-core
realgud-bashdb realgud:bashdb-track-mode realgud:bashdb-core
realgud:bashdb-init realgud-lang-posix-shell realgud:run
realgud-locals-mode realgud-breakpoint-mode realgud-backtrack-mode
realgud-track-mode realgud-backtrace-mode realgud-attach
realgud-lang-java realgud-track realgud-shortkey realgud-menu
realgud-eval realgud-cmds realgud-send realgud-window realgud-utils
eshell realgud-init realgud-file realgud-core realgud-reset
realgud-buffer-helper realgud-buffer-breakpoint realgud-buffer-backtrace
realgud-locals realgud-buffer-locals realgud-buffer-command
realgud-buffer-info realgud-lochist org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src sh-script smie treesit executable
ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list org-footnote org-faces org-entities
org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-cycle org-table ol
org-fold org-fold-core org-keys oc org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs org-compat org-macs realgud-bp
realgud-bp-image-data realgud-lang esh-mode esh-var esh-cmd generator
esh-ext esh-opt esh-proc esh-io esh-arg esh-module esh-module-loaddefs
esh-util realgud-loc realgud-buffer-source realgud-key key
realgud-follow realgud-fringe realgud-helper loc-changes realgud-regexp
realgud-custom load-relative projectile project grep ibuf-ext ibuffer
ibuffer-loaddefs acme-search cl quack compile cmuscheme scheme advice
syslog-mode hsluv man ov net-utils hi-lock ido hide-lines tramp trampver
tramp-integration files-x tramp-message tramp-compat xdg tramp-loaddefs
forge-repos forge-tablist hl-line forge-topics forge-commands forge-semi
forge-bitbucket buck forge-gogs gogs forge-gitea gtea forge-gitlab glab
forge-github ghub-graphql treepy gsexp ghub url-http url-gw nsm url-auth
let-alist gnutls forge-forgejo forge-notify forge-revnote forge-pullreq
forge-issue forge-discussion forge-topic yaml parse-time iso8601
eieio-custom wid-edit bug-reference forge-post markdown-mode rx color
thingatpt noutline outline forge-repo forge forge-core forge-db closql
emacsql-sqlite emacsql emacsql-compiler eieio-base magit-bookmark
magit-submodule magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog magit-bisect
magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote magit-commit
magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge
magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit
magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log which-func imenu magit-diff
smerge-mode diff diff-mode track-changes easy-mmode git-commit log-edit
message sendmail yank-media puny dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec
epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util time-date mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util
ietf-drums mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader
pcvs-util add-log magit-core magit-autorevert autorevert filenotify
magit-margin magit-transient magit-process with-editor shell pcomplete
comint ansi-osc ring ansi-color magit-mode transient edmacro kmacro
benchmark magit-git magit-base magit-section format-spec cursor-sensor
crm llama compat activities-tabs activities warnings persist bookmark
text-property-search pp ecf-mode cl-extra help-mode dcm-general server
activities-autoloads activities.el-autoloads android-mode-autoloads
archive-rpm-autoloads bitbake-el-autoloads clang-format-autoloads
css-eldoc-autoloads csv-mode-autoloads dockerfile-mode-autoloads
eat-autoloads edit-server-autoloads elfeed-autoloads forge-autoloads
closql-autoloads emacsql-autoloads ghub-autoloads git-link-autoloads
go-mode-autoloads google-translate-autoloads indent-tools-autoloads
hydra-autoloads jira-autoloads jira-markup-mode-autoloads
jiralib2-autoloads json-reformat-autoloads lv-autoloads
magit-svn-autoloads magit-autoloads pcase magit-section-autoloads
llama-autoloads dash-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads
mmm-mode-autoloads persist-autoloads php-mode-autoloads popup-autoloads
projectile-autoloads pydoc-autoloads quack-autoloads realgud-autoloads
realgud-recursive-autoloads request-autoloads rfc-mode-autoloads
rust-mode-autoloads s-autoloads session-autoloads strace-mode-autoloads
switchy-window-autoloads syslog-mode-autoloads hsluv-autoloads
ov-autoloads hide-lines-autoloads tablist-autoloads
test-simple-autoloads tramp-term-autoloads transient-autoloads
treepy-autoloads vanc-mode-autoloads wiki-summary-autoloads info
with-editor-autoloads wordel-autoloads yafolding-autoloads
yaml-autoloads yaml-mode-autoloads zone-rainbow-autoloads package
browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs icons
password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile
url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo gtk
x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 2608672 467543) (symbols 48 51526 40)
 (strings 32 514678 40005) (string-bytes 1 38520450)
 (vectors 16 158211) (vector-slots 8 2409063 283210)
 (floats 8 2496 4050) (intervals 56 219936 3110) (buffers 984 101))