Subject: bug#77944: 31.0.50; M-x man on macOS fails with error

From: Przemysław Kryger <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2025 17:44:31 +0100

(Sorry for duplicate e-mail for some, but it seems that my previous attempt has failed.)

I can see the same issue on 30.1.50 on macOS as well, (built from:
https://github.com/jdtsmith/emacs-mac/commit/4caf8199ea11305ce5f6ca0a380cf18d200d5039).
That is, in emacs -Q

M-x man RET ls RET

yields a man buffer that shows:

sed: 1: "/^[\o001-\o032][\o001-\ ...": RE error: invalid character range

A quick check with:

M-x find-library RET man RET

shows that the line with

"-e '/^[\\o001-\\o032][\\o001-\\o032]*$/d'"

is there as well.  The same line is also present in
8881dca81c95bac1977aa2c924be173382444c4a (tip of branch emacs-30).

I can see the fix (fc5e905dc90e21b1a381bde42e22c06f45c17e16) is contained in
branch master, but it's not in branch emacs-30 yet.  Does it mean it's not
planned to be included in Emacs-30.2 (or Emacs-30.3)?

Cheers,
PK