Subject: bug#77944: closed (Re: bug#77944: 31.0.50; M-x man on macOS fails with error)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2025 06:53:06 +0000

Your bug report

#77944: 31.0.50; M-x man on macOS fails with error

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
77944: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=77944
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#77944: 31.0.50; M-x man on macOS fails with error
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2025 08:52:44 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 31.1

Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Gerd,

>> Yes, please try. [[:cntrl:]] is equal to [\\o0000-\\o0037]. Much
>> more than [\\o0001-\\o0032], so I'd prefer the latter.
>
> The second one doesn't work. It gives the error again in M-x man. Also
> in the shell
>
> /Users/gerd/emacs/github/cl-packages % sed -e '/^[\\o0001-\\o0032][\\o0001-\\o0032]*$/d' /dev/null
> sed: 1: "/^[\\o0001-\\o0032][\\o ...": RE error: invalid character range
>
> I guess I had gsed still installed when I tried that in zsh, and forgot
> to add the /usr/bin/.

Thanks for the check. So I've pushed a patch using [:cntrl:] to
master. Closing the bug.

Best regards, Michael.

Subject: 31.0.50; M-x man on macOS fails with error
From: Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2025 18:27:44 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

To reproduce with emacs -Q

M-x man RET ls RET

The man buffer shows

sed: 1: "/^[\o001-\o032][\o001-\ ...": RE error: invalid character range

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 1, aarch64-apple-darwin24.4.0, NS
 appkit-2575.50 Version 15.4.1 (Build 24E263)) of 2025-04-20 built on
 pro2
Repository revision: 6fb2a4691f4d53473c0a326d3a6c23df9008b6e8
Repository branch: master
System Description:  macOS 15.4.1

Configured using:
 'configure --cache-file
 /var/folders/1d/k_6t25f94sl83szqbf8gpkrh0000gn/T//config.cache.master
 --enable-checking=yes --with-native-compilation=no CC=clang
 'CFLAGS=-Wgnu-imaginary-constant -Wunused-result -g -g -O0 -F
 /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks
 -Wno-ignored-attributes -Wno-flag-enum -Wno-missing-method-return-type
 -Wno-variadic-macros -Wno-strict-prototypes -Wno-availability
 -Wno-nullability-completeness''

Configured features:
ACL DBUS GLIB GNUTLS LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER PNG
RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM ZLIB