Subject: 31.0.50; emacsclient doesn't return to shell with '--no-wait' supplied

From: "Pedro A. Aranda" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2025 07:49:19 +0200

--text follows this line--

On my Ubuntu system:
uname -a
Linux 840g5 6.8.0-57-generic #59~22.04.1-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Wed
Mar 19 17:07:41 UTC 2 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
3.24.33, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2025-04-17 built on 26771769ed00
Repository revision: ee46b6c4e67aa52b4ef683c5c16f64638e369cd3

I call emacsclient with --no-wait but the program doesn't start in the
background, Thus, I don't get the CLI prompt back.

Repository branch: master
System Description: Ubuntu 22.04.5 LTS

Configured using:
'configure --prefix=/usr --program-suffix=31 --without-x
--with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-cairo --with-compress-install
--with-modules=yes --with-threads --with-included-regex --with-zlib
--with-native-compilation=aot --with-pgtk 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
-ffile-prefix-map=/home/paag/emacs=. -flto=auto -ffat-lto-objects
-flto=auto -ffat-lto-objects -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat
-Werror=format-security' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2'
'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -flto=auto -ffat-lto-objects
-flto=auto -Wl,-z,relro''

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PGTK PNG
RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS XIM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
value of $LC_MONETARY: es_ES.UTF-8
value of $LC_NUMERIC: es_ES.UTF-8
value of $LC_TIME: es_ES.UTF-8
value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
locale-coding-system: utf-8

Major mode: LaTeX

Minor modes in effect:
display-line-numbers-mode: t
jinx-mode: t
eglot-inlay-hints-mode: t
eglot--managed-mode: t
global-corfu-mode: t
corfu-mode: t
yas-global-mode: t
yas-minor-mode: t
flymake-mode: t
global-tab-line-mode: t
tab-line-mode: t
recentf-mode: t
electric-pair-mode: t
override-global-mode: t
server-mode: t
global-eldoc-mode: t
eldoc-mode: t
show-paren-mode: t
electric-indent-mode: t
mouse-wheel-mode: t
menu-bar-mode: t
file-name-shadow-mode: t
global-font-lock-mode: t
font-lock-mode: t
blink-cursor-mode: t
minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
column-number-mode: t
line-number-mode: t
visual-line-mode: t
transient-mark-mode: t
auto-composition-mode: t
auto-encryption-mode: t
auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/paag/.emacs.d/elpa/cmake-mode-20250304.1338/cmake-mode hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/cmake-mode-3.22.1/cmake-mode
/home/paag/.emacs.d/elpa/cmake-mode-20250304.1338/cmake-mode-autoloads 
hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/cmake-mode-3.22.1/cmake-mode-autoloads
/home/paag/.emacs.d/elpa/cmake-mode-20250304.1338/cmake-mode-pkg hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/cmake-mode-3.22.1/cmake-mode-pkg
~/.emacs.d/lisp/rst hides /usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/textmodes/rst
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/org-loaddefs hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/org-loaddefs
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ob-sass hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ob-sass
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/org-element-ast hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/org-element-ast
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ox hides /usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ox
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ob-forth hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ob-forth
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ol-mhe hides /usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ol-mhe
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ox-publish hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ox-publish
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ob-core hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ob-core
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/org-indent hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/org-indent
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/org-attach-git hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/org-attach-git
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ol-eww hides /usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ol-eww
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/org-colview hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/org-colview
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/org-cycle hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/org-cycle
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ob-perl hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ob-perl
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ob-maxima hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ob-maxima
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/oc-biblatex hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/oc-biblatex
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ol-man hides /usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ol-man
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/org-crypt hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/org-crypt
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ob-C hides /usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ob-C
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ox-ascii hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ox-ascii
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/org-inlinetask hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/org-inlinetask
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ol-gnus hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ol-gnus
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ox-man hides /usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ox-man
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ob-plantuml hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ob-plantuml
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/org-list hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/org-list
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ob-latex hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ob-latex
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ob-shell hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ob-shell
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/org-goto hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/org-goto
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ob-eshell hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ob-eshell
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ob-java hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ob-java
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ox-beamer hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ox-beamer
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ob-org hides /usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ob-org
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ob-makefile hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ob-makefile
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/org-attach hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/org-attach
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ob-scheme hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ob-scheme
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/oc-basic hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/oc-basic
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ob-awk hides /usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ob-awk
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ob-gnuplot hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ob-gnuplot
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ob-groovy hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ob-groovy
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ob-octave hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ob-octave
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ob-lilypond hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ob-lilypond
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/org-duration hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/org-duration
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ob-lob hides /usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ob-lob
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ob-matlab hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ob-matlab
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ox-koma-letter hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ox-koma-letter
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/oc-natbib hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/oc-natbib
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ob-ditaa hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ob-ditaa
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ox-icalendar hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ox-icalendar
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ox-latex hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ox-latex
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/org-footnote hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/org-footnote
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ob-fortran hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ob-fortran
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/org-mouse hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/org-mouse
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ol-eshell hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ol-eshell
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/org-habit hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/org-habit
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ob-table hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ob-table
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/oc-bibtex hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/oc-bibtex
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ob-clojure hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ob-clojure
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ob-comint hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ob-comint
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/org-fold-core hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/org-fold-core
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ob-exp hides /usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ob-exp
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/org-refile hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/org-refile
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/org-protocol hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/org-protocol
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ob-js hides /usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ob-js
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ob-lua hides /usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ob-lua
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/org-archive hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/org-archive
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/org-keys hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/org-keys
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ob-calc hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ob-calc
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ob-tangle hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ob-tangle
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ob-sqlite hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ob-sqlite
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/org-fold hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/org-fold
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ob-ref hides /usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ob-ref
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/org-pcomplete hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/org-pcomplete
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ob-eval hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ob-eval
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/org-macs hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/org-macs
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/oc-csl hides /usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/oc-csl
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/org-capture hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/org-capture
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ox-md hides /usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ox-md
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ol-bibtex hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ol-bibtex
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/org-agenda hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/org-agenda
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/org hides /usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/org
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ol-irc hides /usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ol-irc
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ob-haskell hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ob-haskell
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/oc hides /usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/oc
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ob-lisp hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ob-lisp
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ox-org hides /usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ox-org
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/org-entities hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/org-entities
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ob-julia hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ob-julia
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ob-ocaml hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ob-ocaml
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ob-ruby hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ob-ruby
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ob-python hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ob-python
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/org-mobile hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/org-mobile
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ob-css hides /usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ob-css
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/org-datetree hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/org-datetree
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/org-tempo hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/org-tempo
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ob hides /usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ob
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ob-processing hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ob-processing
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/org-faces hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/org-faces
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/org-feed hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/org-feed
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ob-sed hides /usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ob-sed
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/org-macro hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/org-macro
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/org-element hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/org-element
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/org-compat hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/org-compat
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ob-dot hides /usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ob-dot
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ol-w3m hides /usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ol-w3m
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/org-timer hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/org-timer
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ob-R hides /usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ob-R
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ox-odt hides /usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ox-odt
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ol-docview hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ol-docview
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/org-clock hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/org-clock
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ob-screen hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ob-screen
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ol-info hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ol-info
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ox-texinfo hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ox-texinfo
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/org-num hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/org-num
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ox-html hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ox-html
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/org-table hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/org-table
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ol-bbdb hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ol-bbdb
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/org-src hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/org-src
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/org-ctags hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/org-ctags
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ol-rmail hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ol-rmail
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/org-id hides /usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/org-id
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/org-plot hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/org-plot
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ob-emacs-lisp hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ob-emacs-lisp
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ol-doi hides /usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ol-doi
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/org-version hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/org-version
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/org-lint hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/org-lint
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ob-sql hides /usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ob-sql
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/org-persist hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/org-persist
~/Devel/org-mode/lisp/ol hides /usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/org/ol
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/latex-cjk-thai/thai-word hides 
/usr/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/language/thai-word

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug lisp-mnt message yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mail-utils display-line-numbers latexenc eldoc-box jinx flyspell ispell
nordic-light-theme cycle-appearance eglot external-completion jsonrpc
xref diff diff-mode track-changes ert ewoc debug backtrace find-func
filenotify pcase imenu tex-mode cape nerd-icons-corfu nerd-icons
nerd-icons-faces nerd-icons-data nerd-icons-data-mdicon
nerd-icons-data-flicon nerd-icons-data-codicon nerd-icons-data-devicon
nerd-icons-data-sucicon nerd-icons-data-wicon nerd-icons-data-faicon
nerd-icons-data-powerline nerd-icons-data-octicon
nerd-icons-data-pomicon nerd-icons-data-ipsicon corfu compat yasnippet
flymake-yamllint flymake project thingatpt tab-line group-tab-line-mode
dbus compile text-property-search xml synctex-dbus derived texlog-mode
tramp trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-message tramp-compat
shell pcomplete comint ansi-osc ring parse-time iso8601 format-spec
ansi-color tramp-loaddefs drampf edmacro kmacro time-date recentf
tree-widget elec-pair hl-line benchmark finder-inf use-package
use-package-ensure use-package-delight use-package-diminish
use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode use-package-core server
bug-hunter-autoloads cape-autoloads clojure-mode-autoloads
cmake-mode-autoloads corfu-autoloads eldoc-box-autoloads
exec-path-from-shell-autoloads flymake-yamllint-autoloads
indent-bars-autoloads info jinx-autoloads move-text-autoloads
multiple-cursors-autoloads nerd-icons-corfu-autoloads
nerd-icons-autoloads visual-regexp-autoloads yaml-mode-autoloads
yasnippet-autoloads package browse-url xdg url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source eieio
eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json map byte-opt url-vars comp cl-seq
comp-cstr cl-extra help-mode warnings subr-x gv comp-run bytecomp
byte-compile comp-common rx cus-edit pp cus-load icons wid-edit
cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win touch-screen pgtk-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo gtk pgtk
multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process tty-child-frames
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 494268 357757) (symbols 48 27202 749)
(strings 32 161770 29562) (string-bytes 1 3893482) (vectors 16 40601)
(vector-slots 8 495848 279691) (floats 8 132 501)
(intervals 56 536 221) (buffers 984 17))