Subject: Re: bug#77928: 31.0.50; ebcde0f90f6 (bug#77928) breaks :custom-face for themed faces

From: Steven Allen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2025 09:17:02 -0700

John Wiegley <[email-masked]> writes:

>>>>>> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>> For example, if a user customizes a face via the "Easy Customization"
>>> interface, said customizations always override the theme. :custom-face is
>>> supposed to be the use-package equivalent of the "Easy Customization"
>>> system.
>
>> I'm not sure this is what :custom-face is, because it expands to something
>> else. Maybe John could help us understand what was the intent, and why this
>> is the expansion.
>
> This is no deep answer, I’m afraid. I think I just looked at what gets called
> in settings.el when you save a face customization (`custom-set-faces'), and so
> this is what I used.

It would help to better understand how it was intended to behave:

- Should :custom-face override the theme or should the theme override
  :custom-face?

- Should customizations made via :custom-face be merged with the
  original face definition (as with `custom-set-faces') or should they
  completely replace the underlying face.