Subject: Re: bug#77924: 31.0.50; [Feature branch] Change marker implementation

From: Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2025 06:12:00 +0200

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> This sounds great.  I pushed a couple of typo fixes while reading the
> patches, please use them as you see fit (squash, etc.).

Thanks, I've ported that back to my side.

>
> - Any chance you could add a comment explaining how you arrived at
>   text_index_interval=4*1024?  If it's arbitrarily chosen, adding a
>   comment to that effect might be useful.

It's neither completely arbitrary nor can I really say much about it.
INTERVAL / 2 is basically the worst-case distance one has to scan
through text. Don't really know what to say more, and the above is
pretty obvious. 

>
> - Maybe rename `text-index-interval` to `text-index--interval` (to
>   indicate that it's internal)?
>
> - I guess `use-text-index` can be removed?

I've removed these Lisp variables a few days ago or so. They were only
for experimenting with the whole thing. 

>> Please see the comments at the start of marker-vector.c and text-index.c
>> for more details. Also see the thread(s) on emacs-devel with Stef an me.
>
> For posterity, I guess that would be:
>
> Re: Question about region caches
> https://lists.gnu.org/r/emacs-devel/2025-03/msg01382.html
>
> PS. BTW, a small procedural thing.  Instead of merging master into a
>     scratch/ branch, I recommend deleting the branch, rebasing it on
>     master, and then pushing it again.  This way, when we later merge it
>     into master, we avoid the merge commits, and the history is kept
>     clean and more easily reviewable.  Not the end of the world either
>     way, but something to consider.

Sorry, too much work :-).

(For reviewing a branch with merges from master I recommend to find the
latest merge commit, take the parent commit on the master side, and
range diff with that. (If you have the merge in the reflog, that
speeds up finding the latest merge, but that's only the case if you did
the merge in that repo.))