Subject: Re: bug#77924: 31.0.50; [Feature branch] Change marker implementation

From: Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2025 07:46:15 +0200

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

>> - Finally `smie-nonascii` is the same as `smie` except that it uses
>>   a file that's identical to `xmenu.c` but where all the letters of
>>   comments/strings/identifiers were replaced by non-ASCII ones.
>>   Here, we see that TINDEX` is *much* slower than BASE.
>>   This doesn't seem to be a fluke: I see the exact same performance
>>   difference in my other pair of builds.
>>
>> This last one is a serious problem that we need to address before we can
>> merge the branch.
>
> I have pushed a patch which fixes this performance bug.

* Results

  | test          | non-gc (s) | gc (s) | gcs | total (s) | err |
  |---------------+------------+--------+-----+-----------+-----|
  | font-lock     |       0.52 |   0.32 |  23 |      0.83 |  0% |
  | smie          |       1.18 |   0.46 |  33 |      1.64 |  0% |
  | smie-nonascii |       2.10 |   0.49 |  35 |      2.59 |  0% |
  |---------------+------------+--------+-----+-----------+-----|
  | total         |       3.79 |   1.27 |  92 |      5.07 |  0% |

Very nice! Can you tell the story a bit? For entertainment? :-).