Subject: Re: bug#77921: GIMP does not start

From: Tomas Volf <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2025 18:14:35 +0200

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> writes:

> As some data point, I don't reproduce using GNOME with Wayland.  What
> is your environment like?

I am using i3 (so Xorg), with no desktop environment present.

> Do you have some 'guix shell' command to reproduce the failure?

Now that I have tried, I must say I do not, which is interesting.  I
have put together the following command:

guix time-machine -q --commit=7ff20b9e94c429f1160bd8f0db86b153a03e4683 \
    -- shell -C -E ^DISPLAY\$ -E ^DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS\$           \
    --expose=/run/user/1000                                            \
    --expose=$HOME/.Xauthority                                         \
    --expose=/tmp/.X11-unix                                            \
    --no-cwd gimp gtk+ -- gimp

Ignoring the fact that I need to provide the gtk+ package (will file a
separate bug for that), the GIMP starts fine.  So there is probably
*some* interference from my environment, but I do not really have any
ideas how to narrow it down.  Will keep looking.

Tomas

-- 
There are only two hard things in Computer Science:
cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.