Subject: bug#77920: shepherd-1.0.4 not building on aarch64

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2025 11:57:05 +0200

Hi Roman,

Roman Scherer <[email-masked]> writes:

> I can't build shepherd-1.0.4 on my aarch64 systems anymore locally nor
> on my Cuirass server. The `tests/pid-file.sh` test is failing. I
> attached the failing logs. The issues seems to be:
>
> ```
> herd: error: exception caught while executing 'start' on service 'test':
> In procedure delete-file: Read-only file system
> ```

This is due to <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/77570>.

You need to pull and reconfigure to address it.

If you cannot reconfigure precisely because you cannot build shepherd
and don’t want to use substitutes, then you can do something like:

  herd stop guix-daemon
  /gnu/store/…-fixed-guix-…/bin/guix-daemon \
     --build-users-group=guixbuild …

(Run ‘herd status guix-daemon’ beforehand to view the exact command
line.)

HTH!

Ludo’.