Subject: Re: bug#77917: 31.0.50; [PATCH] Stop using the "stop" sign for all warning levels

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2025 09:25:50 +0300

>> * stop using the "warnings-suppress" icon; keep it for
>>   backward-compatibility in case there are out-of-tree users,
>> * insert a new plain "warning" icon (with SVG representation that can
>>   use the 'warning face),
>> * add a text button for suppression.
>
> How about doing that, but without the icon?

The icon helps to draw the user's attention to the warning.
Other IDEs do this, e.g. https://i.sstatic.net/gppvo.jpg

> The icon is problematic on TTY frames, and why do we need it, when the
> text already says "Warning: SOMETHING"?

This is not problematic since 'define-icon' supports many layers.
>From (info "(elisp) Icons"):

  If ‘icon-preference’ is ‘(image emoji symbol text)’ (i.e., allowing all of
  these forms of icons), in this case, ‘icon-string’ will first check that
  Emacs is able to display images at all, and then whether it has support
  for each of those different image formats.  If that fails, Emacs will
  check whether Emacs can display emojis (in the current frame).  If that
  fails, it'll check whether it can display the symbol in question.  If
  that fails, it'll use the plain text version.