Subject: Re: bug#77917: 31.0.50; [PATCH] Stop using the "stop" sign for all warning levels

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2025 10:28:09 +0300

> From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>,  Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>,
>   [email-masked],  Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>,
>   [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 08 May 2025 09:45:38 +0300
> 
>  (define-icon warnings-suppress button
> -  `((emoji "⛔")
> -    ;; Many MS-Windows console fonts don't have good glyphs for U+25A0.
> +  `((emoji "⚠️")
> +    ;; Many MS-Windows console fonts don't have good glyphs for symbols.
>      (symbol ,(if (and (eq system-type 'windows-nt)
>                        (null window-system))
>                   " » "
> -               " ■ "))
> -    (text " stop "))
> -  "Suppress warnings."
> -  :version "29.1"
> +               " ⚠ "))
> +    (text " warning "))

Since the 'symbol' value was changed to express "warning" rather than
"suppress", the symbol used for terminals on MS-Windows needs to be
also modified, since the previous one has nothing in common with
"warning".

Also, are you sure that show U+26A0 ⚠ is a good idea for the 'symbol'
preference?  At least on TTY frames, that character has problems
because its glyph is wide, and many terminal emulators have trouble
showing it in an Emacs window.

So I think the 'symbol' alternative still needs work.

Btw, since this icon is called "warning-suppress", did anyone think
about showing a cross or a strike-through over the icon/symbol?
Because using ⚠ as "warning-suppress" is at least strange, IMO.