Subject: bug#77917: 31.0.50; [PATCH] Stop using the "stop" sign for all warning levels

From: Rudolf Adamkovič <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2025 01:33:08 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> The sign is not for Warning or Error, it's for _disabling_ the
> message.  That's why it's the same sign.

This will be confusing Emacs users *forever*, IMO.

You keep saying we should wait until people get used to these "buttons",
but that is not a good idea.  If nobody else, some new users will always
struggle, as the design of these buttons is inherently flawed.  I know
of no mature software that uses Emojis this way, which makes this UI not
discoverable.  We should *default* to text buttons, e.g.

  [Suppress], [Hide], or [Disable].

If someone likes emoticons better than text labels, it should be them to
customize.  We should *default* to standard, battle-proven, and thus
discoverable, UI elements.

Rudy
-- 
"One can begin to reason only when a clear picture has been formed in
the imagination."  --- Walter Warwick Sawyer, Mathematician's Delight,
1943

Rudolf Adamkovič <[email-masked]> [he/him]
http://adamkovic.org