Subject: bug#77917: 31.0.50; [PATCH] Stop using the "stop" sign for all warning levels

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2025 21:26:35 +0200

On Tue, 06 May 2025 18:33:48 +0300 Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked],
>>   [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
>> Date: Tue, 06 May 2025 14:04:07 +0200
>> 
>> On Tue, 06 May 2025 14:29:34 +0300 Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> 
>> >> I conclude from that that we should use U+26A0 U+FE0F ⚠️ as the symbol
>> >> to insert.
>> >
>> > Really?  So we've just made another full circle back to the beginning?
>> > Where someone said, and I agree, that showing ⚠️ explains itself worse
>> > than the existing symbol, because it could be easily interpreted as
>> > meaning just "Warning".
>> 
>> What about the character "ℹ" (#x2139 INFORMATION SOURCE), perhaps with a
>> box face attribute, or alternatively as emoji "ℹ️"?  This sign is widely
>> recognized and I think even invites clicking to see what the information
>> is (though having an explicit button as well would avoid any
>> misunderstanding).
>
> If this is recognized widely enough, sure.  But can you point to some
> examples of using this for that purpose?

If you mean an editor using "ℹ" or "ℹ️" as button to display otherwise
hidden information, then no, I don't know of any such editors (but I
have little acquaintance of editors besides Emacs :).  I have seen "ℹ"
used simply to mark (but not reveal) an informative message; here is an
example of output in the R console:
https://r4ds.hadley.nz/intro.html#the-tidyverse

Steve Berman