Subject: bug#77964: closed (Re: bug#77911: Kodi-wayland won't compile)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 02 May 2025 16:51:03 +0000

Your bug report

#77911: spdlog is bundling fmt

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
77911: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=77911
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#77911: Kodi-wayland won't compile
From: Greg Hogan <[email-masked]>
To: André Batista <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], Dylan Connell <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 2 May 2025 12:50:23 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Thu, Apr 24, 2025 at 5:52 PM André Batista <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Hi, this bug is due to the same issue reported by Dariqq on #77964,
> which already has a proposed fix by Greg.  After applying that patch
> series on top of 85b5c2c8f66aed05730f6c7bdeabfaadf619bb8f and
> removing 'fmt' from the list of kodi inputs, I've successfully built
> it on a x86_64 system.
>
> Cheers!

I have left "fmt" as an input to kodi since there is no longer a
conflict with "spdlog" (which has been reverted to version 1.13).
j4-dmenu-desktop depends on spdlog-1.15 which is incompatible with the
unversioned "fmt". It's no harm to duplicate a propagated input.

After rechecking that all dependent packages build (except the broken
rxcpp) I have pushed #77406 as
c53da8704b64e835d563b1b1ca64a44f0d1d9746 and #77964 as
0b83a27b67ae92e988795322ae988518ec3e6972.

Greg

Subject: spdlog is bundling fmt
From: Dariqq <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2025 15:58:28 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

Today I tried to rebuild a package in my channel which uses both fmt and 
spdlog.

The build failed with a linking error with undefined references for some 
spdlog code.

Recently the spdlog symbol got updated to 1.15, when I downgrade to 
using spdlog 1.13 the error went away.

After looking around online for similar issues I found that the reason 
could be a version mismatch with the fmt package and the fmt bundled 
with spdlog.

If I use fmt-11 instead of fmt-9 (the fmt symbol) the issue went away.

I think Guix generally tries to unbundle things if possible and looking 
at some build recipes in other distributions (debian, gentoo, fedora) 
all of them add the -DSPDLOG_FMT_EXTERNAL=ON flag (usually with an 
additional patch to force the unbundled fmt)

Thanks.