Subject: Re: bug#7791: 24.0.50; vc-annotate doesn't work on large SVN files

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 23:56:24 -0500

> Hello? If that worked for you I can add it to PROBLEMS.

> Perhaps someone who understands the libc/ssh/cvs issue could comment
> on whether this is likely to be similar?

I don't understand it, really, but IIRC it goes something like this:
- cvs outputs some things to stdout and stderr
- ssh puts (one of?) them in non-blocking mode
- if you redirect stderr to stdout, then the other also gets put in
  non-blocking mode
- libc doesn't expect one of them to be non-blocking and end sup
  losing data chunks.

IIRC, the typical symptom was lost data at 1024-byte boundaries, but not
truncated data (tho that could also happen, it's not what I remember
seeing in most cases).

So I'm not sure it's the same thing, tho it wouldn't be a surprise if
it's the same underlying problem, and it just manifest itself in
a different way because the surrounding code behaves differently.

        Stefan