Subject: bug#8080: closed (Re: bug#7789: cannot send smtpmail using gmail & tls on woe32)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 01:53:02 +0000

Your bug report

#7789: 24.0.50; Sending mail failed with Gmail/GnuTLS on Windows

which was filed against the emacs,w32 package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
7789: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=7789
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#7789: cannot send smtpmail using gmail & tls on woe32
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 21:52:17 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 24.1

IIUC, the MS Windows build can now use gnutls.c and so this can be closed.
(I might not UC though.)

Subject: 24.0.50; Sending mail failed with Gmail/GnuTLS on Windows
From: Christoph <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 23:23:35 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I use the following setup:

Emacs 24.0.50 r103346
GnuTLS 2.10.1 (from http://josefsson.org/gnutls4win/)
GnuGPG 1.4.11

running on Windows 7.

My mail setup is as follows:

(require 'smtpmail)
(setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
      message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
      smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 nil nil))
      smtpmail-auth-credentials (expand-file-name "~/.authinfo.gpg")
      smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
      smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
      smtpmail-smtp-service 587
      user-mail-address "[email-masked]"
      smtpmail-debug-info t)

Sending a mail fails with the following error:

Sending via mail...
220 mx.google.com ESMTP ca7sm2512icb.12
250-mx.google.com at your service, [71.208.192.11]
250-SIZE 35651584
250-8BITMIME
250-STARTTLS
250 ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
c:/Users/Christoph/A: 0% (0/105)
c:/Users/Christoph/A: 100% (105/105)
530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. ca7sm2512icb.12
221 2.0.0 closing connection ca7sm2512icb.12
smtpmail-send-it: Sending failed; SMTP protocol error

The SMTP trace buffer contains this:

Process SMTP deleted
220 mx.google.com ESMTP ca7sm2512icb.12
EHLO MARVIN
250-mx.google.com at your service, [71.208.192.11]
250-SIZE 35651584
250-8BITMIME
250-STARTTLS
250 ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
MAIL FROM:<[email-masked]> SIZE=278
530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. ca7sm2512icb.12
QUIT
221 2.0.0 closing connection ca7sm2512icb.12

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7600)
 of 2011-02-18 on MARVIN
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.5) --cflags -IC:/Progra~2/GnuWin32/include -ID:/devel/emacs/libXpm-3.5.8/include -ID:/devel/emacs/libXpm-3.5.8/src'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: ENU
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  autopair-mode: t
  autopair-global-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  yas/global-mode: t
  yas/minor-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent input:
C-x RET r e p o r t <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Loading c:/Users/Christoph/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/windows.el (source)...done
Loading c:/Users/Christoph/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/plugins.el (source)...
Ido mode enabled
Loading c:/Users/Christoph/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/anything-c-adaptive-history...done
Loading c:/Users/Christoph/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/plugins.el (source)...done
Loading c:/Users/Christoph/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/custom.el (source)...done
Loading c:/Users/Christoph/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/gnus.el (source)...done
Loading c:/Users/Christoph/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/init-custom.el (source)...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
~/.emacs.d/plugins/python hides d:/devel/emacs/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/progmodes/python

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-cite mail-extr gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015
epg-config mm-view mml-smime smime dig mailcap nnir gnus-sum macroexp
nnoo gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source format-spec gnus-start
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win message rfc822 mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus gnus-ems nnheader
mail-utils wid-edit emacsbug url-util url-parse auth-source netrc
gnus-util time-date password-cache url-vars mm-util mail-prsvr
js2-mode-autoloads package zenburn-theme sha1 hex-util re-builder
ibuffer nav nav-tags nav-bufs uniquify anything-config warnings
browse-url semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic semantic/tag
semantic/lex semantic/fw loaddefs eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile
mode-local cedet imenu bookmark pp dired ffap thingatpt anything python
rx noutline outline ansi-color autopair google-c-style cc-mode cc-fonts
cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
grep-o-matic grep compile comint regexp-opt browse-kill-ring+
browse-kill-ring second-sel ido yasnippet dropdown-list derived
easy-mmode easymenu assoc cl etags-table edmacro kmacro etags ring
org-install server advice help-fns advice-preload autorevert delsel
tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 disp-table
ls-lisp w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode
register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
button minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties overlay md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process multi-tty emacs)