Subject: Re: bug#7789: cannot send smtpmail using gmail & tls on woe32

From: [email-masked] (Claudio Bley)
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2011 22:42:07 +0100

At Fri, 21 Jan 2011 15:32:33 +0100,
Claudio Bley wrote:
> 
> At Tue, 18 Jan 2011 17:45:42 -0500,
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > 
> > A port that doesn't take platform deficiencies into consideration is a
> > broken port.  I was asking where should the correction be: in gnutls
> > or in Emacs, or in both?
> 
> Well, incorporate GNU TLS into Emacs and you're done. Any OS needs
> cryptographic and security features nowadays, no?

Apparently, this has been already done. One could compile Emacs with
GNUTLS support. But, of course it doesn't work on Woe32... Go figure!

Long story short, I made it work somehow. I'm using it with POP3,
IMAP4 and SMTP using SSL/TLS and STARTTLS.

It's still a bit flaky when trying to connect to a server (probably
some kind of race condition), but once connected it works like a
charm.

I'll prepare a patch when I find the time after work.

-- 
Claudio