Subject: Re: bug#7789: cannot send smtpmail using gmail & tls on woe32

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2011 09:43:40 +0200

> Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 18:13:40 -0500
> From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> I am still having this problem (native bzr tip emacs; both cygwin &
> mingw gnutls-cli).
> any suggestions are welcome.

You posted the contents of the trace buffer on Windows.  What does
that buffer show on Ubuntu, where you say it works?  The differences
might give a clue for what's wrong on Windows.

Another idea would be to ask on gnu.emacs.help if anyone has got this
set up successfully on Windows, and how.

Failing all that, I'd suggest to run the related functions under
Edebug and see what fails and why (I'm guessing that it hangs
indefinitely somewhere waiting for something, until the timeout hits).
>From a casual look in the sources, I'd say the relevant functions are
smtpmail-open-stream, smtpmail-via-smtp, and starttls-open-stream and
its subroutines.